cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No Mobile Data since Sim change - for over 7 days, even with numberous help desk calls

jamesfletcher1
2: Seeker

Hi,

I upgraded my phone from a 4s to a 5s over a week ago. As I was out of contract the store at myself and wifes request signed us up so I would be ender the wifes contract to get the 15% family and friends discount (i.e. ported the number over).

Anyway, number got ported over eventually to the new sim card - however ever since then I have had no mobile internet.

I am unsure of a) the status of the switchover of the contract, or b) having read some of the scripts if I have been put onto paygo or im in some hole between the cracks awaiting the move from my account to the wifes account.... anyway - point being I have been trying to resolve the issue with the helpdesk for over a week - a call a day so far....

So in summary......

I am told there is NO REASON on the account why i should be barred mobile internet.

I have the issue in ANY LOCATION. I can also confirm that my identical work phone on vodafone has E, 3G and gprs all working fine when sat next to my personal 5s.

I have rules out the phone being the issue by swapping my work SIM our of the work phone and placing it in my personal phone... gave me 3G straight off... I have also put my SIM in my work phone and recieved no mile data.... in addition to this ...

I have been sent 2 MORE SIMS and have swapped to these over the past 10 or so days.... AGAIN NO RESOLUTION OF THE ISSUE...

therefore its NOT THE PHONE and its NOT THE SIM card....

So will SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHATS WRONG WITH MY ACCOUNT THAT NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO SPOT...

as it is the complaints in and im awaiting a call from a Manager to tell me what is going to happen next but if anyone can PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me whats wrong as its doing my F nut in.

as an aside, I am told that all off my discussions and attempts to resolve the issue have been typed into the account database so theres probably a book worth of background information in there from the poor sods who keep having to put up with my despondent calls for help

Regards

James

24 REPLIES 24

shinwar
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi james

might sound like a daft question but have you got data activated in the settings?

Turn mobile data on or off
You can limit your data usage by turning off mobile data. You'll then not be able to access the internet using the mobile network. You can still use Wi-Fi even though mobile data is turned off.

1. Find "Mobile"

• Press Settings.
  • Press Mobile.

2. Turn mobile data on or off

• Press the indicator next to "Mobile Data"to turn the function on or off.

3. Return to the home screen

• Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

also do you have the correct data settings on the phone?

Set up your phone for internet

The internet connection is shared by many functions on your phone such as receiving email messages and installing apps. You can access the internet as soon as you've inserted your SIM. If this isn't the case, you can set up your phone for internet manually.

1. Find "Mobile Data Network"

• Press Settings.
  • Press Mobile.
  • Press Mobile Data Network.

2. Enter APN

• Press "APN" below "MOBILE DATA".
  • If you're on a pay monthly price plan:
  • Key in internet
  • If you're on a pay as you go price plan:
  • Key in pp.vodafone.co.uk

3. Enter username

• Press "Username" below "MOBILE DATA"and key in web

4. Enter password

• Press "Password" below "MOBILE DATA"and key in web

5. Save settings

• Press Mobile.
  • Press Settings.

6. Return to the home screen

• Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

thanks

Hi, thanks for trying but already been through that route with the helpdesk.... as I said its not the phone settings as I can run my work phones sim in it and get 3G straight off... similarly putting my sim in the work phone gives me nothing apart from voice and texts....

getting more despondent lol

jamesfletcher1
Still no luck in this guys and we are another day down...

Amazing!

tried the live chat and after 2 hrs pinpointed the issue...

"It's a plan that was activated since 2011 and the issue is that the plan is conflicting with the 3G network and not updating it"

so basically, when the shop tried to setup the contracts and put me under my wifes contract using a PAC code (both on vodafone before the swap),  it corrupted the account....

wifes account had all the notes on it saying the port had been tried but it had failed... and instead of flaggin it up and resolving the issue, it just stalled the process.... interestingly enough, there was no record of the fact i had an iphone 5s... or off the contracts.... mind boggles

anyway, resolution is i will stick with my contract, update it to the new payment plan and renewed contract and job done... should have my data back by tomorrow....

So if you ever fancy getting a family discount and want to move your number under a families number to get a 15% discount, you need to cancel your contract first, move to PAYG, then and only then request a PAC code and go do the deals.... 

hope no one else gets stuck like this again!!

jamesfletcher1
Guys, despite the above and being told problem found and sorted and waiting another 24hrs .... Still no mobile internet...

Help please someone

Guys, despite numerous phones calls and allegedly spotting the issue as being the price place corrupted and stopping 3G connection at your end, then sorting the price plan, another 36 hrs on and still no data.

Tried sim from wife's phone in my 5s and it got 3G straight off, so I know it's not the phone, I've also been sent 3 new sims in past weeks so definately told it's not the phone or the sim, so I was hoping the second tier tech team could have another look and see what's wrong with your systems this time....

Also documented this tail of woe under 5s discussion pages...

I've merged your new post with the existing thread on the same topic. Please refrain from creating new threads when there is an existing one on the same topic.

PWIAC

jamesfletcher1
It's been sat awaiting a response for a number of days hence the effort to raise awareness... Currently lost about 24 hours of call time off my life trying to resolve this in the past 14 days so I apologise for actually trying to get a response from vodafone

jamesfletcher1
Currently In shock. After 2 weeks no mobile data it's finally started working following a phone chat... All to do with account and nothing to do with phone or sim... Why has it taken 2 weeks to resolve this?!?