Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No service whilst abroad

NickBuckle
2: Seeker
My iPhone 5 will not pick up a signal abroad. I phone Vodafone prior to travelling to make sure it would work. They confirmed it would. It's set up to allow mobile data, 3G and roaming. The network selection picks nothing when in auto. It picks up 3 carriers when not on automatic selection (Vodafone GR being one of these) and I'm in areas with good signal (on Mykonos, Greece). Can anyone help?
19 REPLIES 19

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

You will need to confirm that roamin is indeed active on your account.  Please sign into My Vodafone and then click on Manage My Settings.  On the following screen, you will need to scroll down and should see a screen a bit like this:

Barring.jpg

You should see a green "ON" next to call roaming.   If you don't, click on change in order to activate roaming.

Once roaming is active, try rebooting your handset and it should connect automatically.  If not, after you have rebooted your phone, try selecting the network manually.  Hopefully this will solve you issues.

PWIAC

NickBuckle
Hi drey_p, Thanks for this but I just checked and all are set to on/allowed.

Hi NickBuckle, 

If your roaming is set to allowed I'm a little stumped as to what might be causing this.

Is anyone else travelling with you having trouble connecting, regardless of network?

What happens when you try to select a network manually, do you get any error message?

Paul

pauldaena
3: Seeker
My daughter has just arrived in Mallorca and is having the same problem with her iphone 5. All settings open/active this happened previously with her number with different sim card and different handset each occasion after the fact VF have said 'try that it should work' but of course no way of trying it until you actually are there. VF customer services called this morning and were supposedly troubleshooting but nothing happening. Not too happy advice please.

Hi pauldaena,

We can certainly take a look into this.

You can see how to get in touch with us here.

Thanks

Andrew

After numerous e-mails to VF CS (ref WRT165 #11676965) problem still not resolved. Daughter now back in UK and no way of testing. This is exactly the same process that has happened on the previous 4 times she has been overseas with the phone. This has caused extra cost by using hotel phone, boyfriends phone and wi-fi usage via hotel (not free) all comunications were required due to her work. This issue has obviously made her VF Passport redundant I will be even more unhappy if extra roaming charges appear on either her phone for receiving and my number for making. The only solution I see is to issue a new SIM and number.

Hi there pauldaena,

As you've said; as we can't test this anymore it's going to prove to be very hard to find a fix.

If any charges do appear, let us know by replying to the last email and we'll have another look into it for you.

Cheers,

LeeH

pauldaena
Received a 'standard' email stating the usual turn off turn on, reset, battery and SIM out bearing in mind the request was for assistance with iphone. This has already been tried the only common denominator in this equation is the mobile number as the SIM, handset and user has all varied. This has to be a legacy issue connected to the mobile number. Losing patience now.

matt1872
1: Seeker
Been in France on business for the second time in 3 weeks. Both times had No Service on roaming. Had confirmation from my IT department that roaming was authorised. If I manually select carriers I can see three: Orange F, F SFR & F Bouygues Telecom. If I select SFR I can occasionally get a signal with no bars and 3G. It lasts for a matter of minutes and reverts to No Service.
My colleague with me also on VF with an iPhone 4S has a great connection with no issues.
Can anyone help?