Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not receiving text messages

stue76
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello all,

For some unknown reason I have stopped receiving certain text messages. E.g., my partner has an Iphone 5 on O2. She sends me messages via imessage and I do know receive them. She is having to send me messages via my email address for them to apper in my messages.

Its fairly random as to whose messages I receive. The only change I have made recently to my phone was when I spoke to customer services to enable my phone to send emails as I havent been able to since i got the phone.

Any ideas as its getting annoying now

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

This is clearly an iMessage issue and as such is outside of Vodafone's services as it is just data to them. It sounds like iMessag e is looking for your Apple ID email address and not your phone number. 

Have you tried turning iMessage off and then re-enabling it. You might need to go through a re-set all settings to clear the issue.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi stue76

Thanks for your post.

Are you able to make/receive calls ok?

Can you send texts to the number in question ok?

Is it possible to test the SIM card in a different phone, to see if the issue still persists?

Are you running the latest software available for your phone?

Thanks

Sukhi 

I can make and receive calls ok

I can send a text to the number but in messages the name at the top isnt my name as shown in my partner's address book, it's my email address

I have received messages from HTC phones. I have turned imessage on and off but this has not resolved the problem.

my settings are imessage - on  send as sms - on  mms messaging  - on

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi stue76,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Please try the following:

-Go to Settings
-Under 'Start new conversations from', make sure there's a tick next to your number.

If there already is, perform a soft reset on the phone by holding down the home key and power key for around 10-20 seconds until the phone goes black and the apple logo appears.

If it still doesn’t work after that, do a back up and restore

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Jenny 

I have exactly the same problem intermittently. Message length is not a factor as many very large messages come though as iMessages.

Vodafone appears to make the decision to email a text message to me because the email address the text message comes from is "mobile phone number"@mms.vodafone.co.uk

Can you let me know why this vodafone email account decides, seemingly at random, to email messages to me?

jeffkinn

Text messages and iMessages have no relation to one another. An iMessage is an Apple product and uses mobile data and has nothing to do with Vodafone. A text message does not use mobile data at all.

The email address you quote is for MMSs and not SMSs. If your account doesn't have MMS enabled the system will email you to let you know that there is a photo waiting for you to look at. If these messages are not photos but something else you need to speak to the person or people sending the messages.

A lot of phones will convert very long text messages to MMSs and that might be what is happening.

The eforum tech team here will be able to look at your account and see if anything needs tweaking to allow you to receive MMS messages.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

The message left my friends phone as a text message not an iMessage. As already mentioned it wasnt a large message, 420 chars incl spaces, we have exchanged messages two or three times bigger recently, with no problem.

The issue you have ignored, is that the email containing the text message came from an @vodafone.co.uk email address. Therefore, the email was generated by Vodafone not iMessage or Apple. All I am asking is why does that happen and under what circumstances?

jeffkinn

As I already said that happens when you are sent an MMS and your account doesn't have MMS enabled.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Rinty,

So that we can look into this further, see here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

DaveCD