Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem with microphone Galaxy S5

AudixDude
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have been told by everyone that speaks to me , including operators from vodafone, that they really battle to hear me. It is only on the S5 and it is not me talking softly or holding the phone away from my face - there is a genuine problem.

Any suggestions?

17 REPLIES 17

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi AudixDude, 

Welcome to the eForum. :smileyhappy:

It sounds like a fault with the phone. You can see information on arranging a repair here

Thanks, 

Kay

Hi Kay

Thanks for the welcome!! :smileyhappy:

I am an engineer myself and I was just wondering if this is a common problem. I have read on other forums that because of the waterproofing, the way the mic is setup is different and the "bad sound" is as an unaviodable result of that. 

You may however be correct and there may indeed be a fault on the handset. Before I go to the lengths of returning the phone for checking/repair I am first going to take the sim out of the S5t and put it back into my S3 and call the same people again and see if there is any difference in sound quality. If there is, then we know there is an issue with the S5. If there is not, then it is something else.

I will let you know the results

Thanks

Hi AudixDude,

I’ve not seen other reports about this issue.

It does sound like an isolated case with your phone.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy

Let me just make sure my previous post has not been taken up incorrectly. When I said ". .. we know there is a problem with the S5 ...", I meant my S5 not the S5 as a model.

That said, the incidents I have alluded to were from the USA. One of the tech guys at the particular Service Provider said (when the one chap on the forum had called in asking about the same thing I have)  that because of the nature of how the waterproofing has been done, it causes the the mic to be soft and that is how the phone sounds.

Whether there is any merit in what was said I do not know, technically from a sound engineers point of view it does make sense, but I find it extremely unlikely that Samsung would not have compensated for any loss of sound intensity due to waterproofing. If this was a generalised S5 issue I think there would have been an uproar worldwide by now , so I agree with your prognosis, this is "my phone" related.

I have not yet gotten around to changing sims/phones but I will post back as soon as I have

Thanks

strawberry99
1: Seeker

I think this a phone design problem as I have a similar problem. Although if i keep trying to find a good position for the phone i do have some success but that position seems to be very precise. are there any settings for the micophone that help.

None that i can find. I have tried everything. The mic is so bad on the S5 it makes the phone useless. I have had so many people complain about the fact that they cannot hear me that I am going back to using my S3 again. My next phone will definitely be a Sony. Samsung will deny there is a problem with the mic, they have to, they cannot exactly say there is a fundamental design flaw on their flagship phone

Hi guys,

I'm not aware of an issue with the phone.

We sell hundreds of these each week and our customers are usually very happy with the phone.

If there is an issue, we can arrange a repair for you.

Alternatively you could visit your local Samsung Service Location.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian

I assure you that I do not post baseless posts on forums. The fact that you might sell hundreds of phones and are not aware of a problem has no bearing on reality whatsoever - not in this instance anyway. Just because someone does not phone in or post on a forum that they are having difficulties with people hearing them does not somehow equate to there not being a problem.

Look at it like this ...if you phone someone and they tell you "Ian, I can;t hear yo properly mate ... speak up a bit or move the mic closer to your mouth"  and only when you actually raise your voice do they say they can hear you perfectly ..what would you think? Probably what I did ..they have a bad line. Secondly, when you speak to someone on the phone and you battle to hear them, do you think their phone is up the spout or that there is a bad connection/line?

The fact is, 99% of the time, people will NOT equate not being able to hear someone properly to there being anythng wrong with a phone (not just this one, ANY phone.) This is because we ALL have this problem at some point or another, and it is usually not anythng to do with the phone.  Therefore, very few people (myself included) will think anything of battling to hear someone and will most certainly not run to the vodafone forums and start posting things about it. Theyu will also not complain about it to anyone. It is when you have multiple people telling you on virtually every occasion you talk to them that they are battling to hear you that alarm bells start ringing. (no pun intended)

I am a sound engineer by trade so I understand the technical side of things behind sound recording/generation.

If you have stuck a microphone inside an air tight compartment there WILL be a loss of sensitivity, regardless of how well the microphone performs and no matter how flexible you make the water-tight membrane. Perhaps they have made the actual diaphragm of the mic the waterproof membrane, but even that has consequences and it all results in the same thing ... loss of sensitivity of the microphone. There is a thing called the "inverse square law" which says if you measure the volume of a sound at a particular point every tme you double that distance  you halve the volume. The effect of this is obviously the most prominent the closer you are to the sound/mic. if you measure the sound at 1/200th of an inch away from the source, the sould level will be HALF at 1/100th and half again at 1/50th and so on and so forth This means that the distance from the mic on the phone and your mouth plays a critical part in how well your voice is picked up. Then just as important (because of this inverse sqaure law) even the physical attributes of a persons face and tone of their voice factors in. Think of when you drive past an open air concert (at a distance) ... what do you hear? You only hear the bass and lower mid range notes  (depending on distance from actual speakers). There is a reason for that - different sound frequencies have different energy properties. What I am trying to show you is that a persons voice (both timbre and volume) plus  how far their mouth is from the mic and the persons facial geometry play a massive part in how well their voice is captured by the mic. It is very possible that for some people, there is NO problem with them being heard at all on the S5. In my case (and the others that have said the same thng I am saying) there is an issue.

So, this is my reasoning behind saying  just because you (or Samsung) are not inundated with calls from people complaining about not being able to be heard properly does not mean there is not an issue.

There is an issue AND this is not something you can fix with a repair, because I will absolutely guarantee that  if I give you my phone and you examine it and test everything, you will find absolutely nothing wrong with it (apart from the phoney chrome finish on the USB cover which has already rubbed off after 2 months because of having to open that damn flap every time you have to charge your phone.)

Furthermore, if I raise my voice and I position the phone so that I am about to swallow the USB port (ok, exaggerating for the sake of emphasis) then people can hear me perfectly, BUT ... the moment I talk in my usual voice (I have a very deep voice) then people I speak to  (including a couple of people from vodafone - who were the first to bring it to my attention that I could not be heard properl;y btw) cannot hear me properly.

I personally think Samsung dropped the ball on this model and that their design was driven by their obsession to compete with the iPhone (which has not helped as it is still outselling the S5) and Sony Z3. I have used my mobile phones since 1997 without dropping them down the loo or into a beer mug/swimming pool/puddle ... a waterproof phone was and is for me, not even on my list of things I need to look at before making a decision about purchasing a phone. I think they added all of the junk (less than useless heart rate monitor, that if it was/is to believed, I would be dead from the 300BPM heartrate)

So to end of my blog - thank you for the offer of reparing my phone, but it is not broken. The problem is more than likely caused by the combination of the design of the mic/housing and my voice/facial features. If you are offering a total face makeover etc ... I might consider that 🙂

All jokes aside though, if Samsung want to do something to address this issue, they should provide a setting to increase the sensitivity on the mic - problem solved instantly. They might even be able to do that with firmware/software within the confines of the present physical setup of the phone.

I have this same issue with my microphone. It gets real bad and I get real mad with my wife and I are talking and she has to tell me over and over that she can not hear me.... I just about want to throw the phone in a brick wall. It also gets me mad when I have it on speaker phone and they still can't hear me or understand what I say. Not to happy about this issue!