Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Second year warranty not honoured

tr4c3yhenderson
4: Newbie
My 5c stopped working following the downloading of IOS8. It was covered under the second year warranty I was told and sent away. It was returned to store unfixed saying it was out of the 1st year warranty. It was returned to be repaired again but again the same thing happened. The store offered to send it away again but said it was likely to take 3 weeks due to the Xmas period. I asks for a new phone or a termination of contract. I wrote to vodafone and the shop manager said he would ask his regional manager if I could terminate the contract. I heard nothing. I chased for hours on the phone, vodafone were not interested. I therefore took out another phone with another provider. Vodafone, despite the appalling service, are still chasing me for the remainder of the contract money. Surely they broke the terms and conditions before I did? The phone should have been repaired but after two months I still had an unusable phone.
36 REPLIES 36

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@tr4c3yhenderson

The contract is for airtime only and does not include the equipment which is used on the airtime contract.

Just because the phone becomes faulty, it does not entitle you to stop paying the airtime contract.

If you value your credit rating, you need to get the the amount owed settled up PDQ.  If you don't pay it, the debt will get passed onto debt collectors and they will be very persistant, they have to be.

You should have taken the phone in to an Apple store for a genius to take a look at the problem.  Vodafone offered to send the phone away but you were not prepared to wait the 3 weeks return during the Christmas holiday period.

BandOfBrothers
Hi

 have a 1year manufacturer warranty on their iPhones unless  Care + is purchased.

You do need to sort out the contract with Vodaphone as in the extreme this could have a detrimental effect on your Credit File if a default marker is placed on it which will stay for 6 years even if you then pay the debt.

What happened to your iPhone when you updated it ?

and have you considered visiting your most local  store via a Genius Bar appointment even tho it's out of warranty as I've known those guys to try and help anyway.

 take customer support very seriously. Appointment can be made by https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Have you approached the Store Manager to ask for any update.

Compliant process is http://www.vodafone.co.uk/about-us/code-of-practice/

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

BandOfBrothers
To add please check any household insurance and some Bank Accounts have mobile phone cover to see if you can get help that way.

Check T&C and excess fees.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

tr4c3yhenderson
Vodafone had already sent it away twice and failed to get it repaired due to lack of training as half their staff are unaware of the second year warranty. By this time 2 months had already passed. I did take the phone to the Genius Bar but they wanted ££95 to replace the phone which due to the warranty I was not prepared to pay.

tr4c3yhenderson
The issue I have is with their incompetence not the iPhone. The store manager told me twice he would raise the issues with his regional manager but never came back to me, he also said I had a good case to ask to terminate the contract.

AnnS

@tr4c3yhenderson wrote:
The issue I have is with their incompetence not the iPhone. The store manager told me twice he would raise the issues with his regional manager but never came back to me, he also said I had a good case to ask to terminate the contract.

The equipment is never part of the airtime contract and there was never a chance of terminating the contract without paying off the remaining time left.

When you stopped paying, you immediately put yourself in default of contract and in the wrong.

Vodafone offered to send the phone away and get it fixed but you were too impatient to wait for three weeks and instead chose to stop paying your airtime contract.

tr4c3yhenderson
After updating the phone it became slower over a couple of days then crashed completely. Vodafone were unable to fix it remotely via PC, said it was a common problem and was easy to fix by reinstalling the software.
When received by the people meant to fix it they confirmed the phone was in good condition and qualified for repair under the second year warranty scheme.
The second time the phone was sent away they said "the second year warranty scheme is no longer available" even though it was in their possession during the warranty period.
The whole episode was a farce.

tr4c3yhenderson
Ann S - i had already waited 2 months and want prepared to risk waiting another 3 weeks for potentially the same result.

AnnS

@tr4c3yhenderson

It still doesn't entitle you to stop paying the airtime contract, that is something you do need to get sorted for your sake.  You only need to look around the forum to see the misery a defaulted credit rating causes.

Vodafone would have probably tried to contact you on the number you held with the contract about the amount owed.  If you did not respond, the damage could have already been done.

The price you were given in the Apple store is actually quite good, you would have come out of the store with a brand new iphone in your hands.