Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Second year warranty not honoured

tr4c3yhenderson
4: Newbie
My 5c stopped working following the downloading of IOS8. It was covered under the second year warranty I was told and sent away. It was returned to store unfixed saying it was out of the 1st year warranty. It was returned to be repaired again but again the same thing happened. The store offered to send it away again but said it was likely to take 3 weeks due to the Xmas period. I asks for a new phone or a termination of contract. I wrote to vodafone and the shop manager said he would ask his regional manager if I could terminate the contract. I heard nothing. I chased for hours on the phone, vodafone were not interested. I therefore took out another phone with another provider. Vodafone, despite the appalling service, are still chasing me for the remainder of the contract money. Surely they broke the terms and conditions before I did? The phone should have been repaired but after two months I still had an unusable phone.
36 REPLIES 36

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@tr4c3yhenderson

Have you got the deadlock letter from Customer Relations ?

All Vodafone would have done is to send the phone off again to Apple.  Vodafone repairs are not allowed to touch Apple products.  You would have got the same service from an Apple store.

The Apple store was telling you a load of rubbish, which is surprising when they make and sell the 5c as 4G phone.  The 5c is quite capable of connecting to the 4G network but its dependent on availability.

Its not a breach of contract on Vodafone's side, that is down to you when you defaulted on the contract and stopped paying your airtime contract which is now in the hands of a debt recovery agency.

Whilst any account is in default, the Ombudsman won't be able to arbitrate.

I hope you get it sorted.

BandOfBrothers
The iPhone 5c can operate on 4G but is dependant on having a 4G tariff , a 4G SIM card and being in. 4G area of signal.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

BandOfBrothers
Ok.

I think we as customers have advised as far as we can and I'll leave you to continue with your communications with Vodaphone and any outside bodies you wish to use.

Please let us know how you get on.

😎

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

tr4c3yhenderson
I asked for a deadlock letter but they never sent one.

The guy I spoke to at the Genius Bar said he queried the issue with iPhones and Vodafone 4G signals and the guy cold calling him immediately put down the phone so there seems to be something odd going on. The store manager in cardiff confirmed there was still officially no 4G signal in Cardiff 14 months after I took out the contract. So that's pretty underhand too!

I've told the ombudsman that it's been referred to a debt management company and they are containing to review the case.

My contract is with vodafone at the end of the day. They promise to repair the phone within a reasonable amount of time. 2-3 months is unreasonable, especially as they did not look at the phone other than to check it's condition. Their internal communication and service is appalling.

Thanks for the advice

tr4c3yhenderson
Thanks, but if the Genius Bar couldn't do it, I'm not attempting anything. I suspect vodafone will end up sending it for repair for the third time and I will be selling two iPhone 5cs!

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

Apple would not put it into DFU mode as it needs to be hooked up to  iTunes on your computer to do so.

tr4c3yhenderson
Hi, it won't switch on though?

kids
The phone needs to be powered off before you connect it to your PC.
Often trying to put it into DFU mode will kick start it.
You cannot do any harm to the phone so it is worth a try.

tr4c3yhenderson
Thanks but as I mentioned before, they tried to do this remotely via my PC and it did not work

AnnS

@tr4c3yhenderson wrote:
Thanks but as I mentioned before, they tried to do this remotely via my PC and it did not work

That would simply not be possible through an Apple store, it has to be your own PC, your own itunes account, you will then be able to restore the phone through itunes. Either Apple are giving you false information or there is something you are not telling us.

Presumably, due to you defaulting on your commitment and the debt now with debt management, the contract has been cancelled by Vodafone and, if you still have the phone, it will be locked to the Vodafone network.