Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unexpected Data usage

chriswaugh24
4: Newbie

Apologies if a similar post is lurking on the board, but I recently upgraded to iphone 5s and since then have had regular data usage showing on my bill at times that I have not been using my phone.  They are commonly at "00:00" hours, at least 4 days a week, and can be up to 200Mb.  Given that I have low data usage normally this is a significant chunk of my usage!

If it is the phone doing updates, it should be using the home wifi.

Any explanations?

2 REPLIES 2

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The midnight reference is a red herring. That's Vodafone rolling the day's usage up.

This is a very common iOS problem and is down to the way Apple writes the software. A lot of apps update in the background or while the phone is sleeping. Unfortunately, when the phone sleeps (i.e. the screen is off) so does wifi and it uses mobile data. The only way around this is to turn off mobile data completely and that forces it to use wifi.

You can also download a data manager from the app store to try and work out what is using the data.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
To stop the phone dropping the wifi when it is sleep mode you can keep the phone connected to a power source. This will stop the phone disconnecting itself from the wifi,