Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking iPhone 5 - how long?!

pookle
1: Seeker

I recently left my employer and purchased my iPhone 5 from them. I requested it was unlocked and they made the request to Vodafone (as I am not named on the account I couldn't do it) and it has now been over 10 working days since the request has been made. The phone has not been unlocked, I have been trying it with iTunes and constantly get the "sim is not valid" message.

I have been trying to get help from Vodafone through Live Chat (took 1.5 hrs before someone connected and then they said they'd have to phone me and put me on hold for another hour before I gave up), I have emailed Vodafone and tried Twitter to no avail so I am trying here as my last resort before I leave Vodafone forever. I am out of contract and was about to port my number back to Vodafone - had to go a long winded way around of keeping my number as they were unable to successfully move my number from a business account to a personal account so am temporarily using an EE sim. This whole hassle does not leave me with much faith in Vodafone.

I do not have a reference or confirmation for the unlock request as it would have been sent to my employer but I know it was done and all I want is some kind of status update as I am sick of waiting and having to sync with iTunes every day to find out whether it has worked or not. Especially as there always seems to be yet ANOTHER Apple update to do which takes 4 hours. 

HELP! Surely it shouldn't take this long to unlock something that you own?!

1 REPLY 1

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

iPhone unlocking does take a while to do.  Once Vodafone have processed the request they pass it onto Apple to action. It is not uncommon for it to take 3 weeks for Apple to actually unlock the handset.

If you would like to find out what is happening with this unlock request, you will need to contact your previous employers and they will need to contact Vodafone to follow up. 

PWIAC