Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrade to unlimited wifi?

robasmith123
3: Seeker
Hi,

I have an iPhone 5s with 7GB of data and 4GB of wifi.

I use wifi an awful lot, especially while at home and at work.

Can I upgrade to unlimited wifi??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
Just realised I'm a moron (or just tired), and you separated out the data and WiFi parts already. Ignore the first paragraph, second applies if it was for the data part of 7GB.

For the WiFi element, that's specifically for BT Openzone WiFi, such as some cafés and shops and whatnot use that you would normally pay for but can access for free up to your allowance. WiFi such as you have at home, or in work where they provide you with log in access, is separate and only limited by your/their broadband provider if at all. Essentially, you can use a bajillionty gigs in your home WiFi and Vodafone don't even see it.

If you know this, and it us specifically the BT Openzone usage you're concerned about, you can look at a price plan change, but I'm not sure it goes much higher, and even if it does, chances are you'd be cheaper using the 'pay per use' charges than increasing the plan for that alone.

I'll go to bed now before I confuse things more. :Smiling:

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

GojuSuzi
Not to be picky, but just in case it causes confusion when you try to discuss it: WiFi is when you connect to a router or similar network (such as your home broadband service) and is unmonitored by Vodafone, what I'm assuming you're referring to is mobile data which is when you connect to the internet over the Vodafone network.

In terms of data allowances, Vodafone do not do unlimited, but if you find 4GB isn't enough, they can add no-committment bundles (500Mb for £3 per month, 1GB for £6, and 2GB for £10) which you can add or remove at any time. If you need much more than that, you may want to consider a price plan change to increase your base allowance (prices will vary depending on the banding your original contract placed you in and wouldn't include any discounts you got on your original tariff, although you can reapply for VEA if eligible), although that does mean you can't reduce it back if you decide later in the contract you want to so should only be done if you really feel you need it.

GojuSuzi
Just realised I'm a moron (or just tired), and you separated out the data and WiFi parts already. Ignore the first paragraph, second applies if it was for the data part of 7GB.

For the WiFi element, that's specifically for BT Openzone WiFi, such as some cafés and shops and whatnot use that you would normally pay for but can access for free up to your allowance. WiFi such as you have at home, or in work where they provide you with log in access, is separate and only limited by your/their broadband provider if at all. Essentially, you can use a bajillionty gigs in your home WiFi and Vodafone don't even see it.

If you know this, and it us specifically the BT Openzone usage you're concerned about, you can look at a price plan change, but I'm not sure it goes much higher, and even if it does, chances are you'd be cheaper using the 'pay per use' charges than increasing the plan for that alone.

I'll go to bed now before I confuse things more. :Smiling:

robasmith123
Thanks for clearing that up for me!!

robasmith123
I was referring to home use. I'm new to the whole smartphone thing, however I did find it odd that I was limited to home wifi useage!

drey_p

Hi there

There are 2 different types of WiFi.  There is your home WiFi which you can use and a number of plans come with BT WiFi that you can use when out and about. The amount of WiFi you can use at home is very much dependent on any limits on your broadband tariff.  If you have a limit on your broadband, your provider will usually charge you if you go over your allowance.

As for how much BT WiFi you have to use at select BT WiFi hotspots, this will depend on your tariff.  Remember that this doesn't stop you from using other free hotspots that you may find when you are out such as though provided by coffee shops or motorway services. 

PWIAC

robasmith123
Fortunately I am a tenant and broadband bills are included in my rent, so I have access to unlimited wifi.

I very rarely connect to Openzone wifi so it seems I should be fine!

Now to sort out the issue I have with incredibly poor 3G coverage whilst I'm indoors! I'm in a good 3G area (GL51 8DP) but I only get GPRS.

I'm sure I'm coming across as ignorant, so I thank you for your patience and assistance!

drey_p

Not at all!  Everyone has different levels of knowledge and understanding of things and it is great that there is a place where people can share what they know and help out others!  It's all about people being able to ask questions and get help and answers - the only silly question is the one you don't ask!

As for coverage, it looks like the 3G Signal should be okay but that you are potentially on the edge of some areas of weaker signal - this could be affecting the signal you have indoors.  One of the eForum Team will be able to look into that in a bit more detail for you.

PWIAC