Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Liability = No Compensation

JoannaEwuosho
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So here's my "I'm highly disappointed in Vodafone and will probably not be continuing my contract after this year" story.

New customers, please read and reconsider joining Vodafone, if you haven't already.

Vodafone tech, maybe you can do something to salvage the reputation of this phone company in my opinion. 

So 2 days ago, Vodafone called me and asked if I was interested in an early upgrade. I said sure, why not?

I've been with Vodafone for about 10 years and had no interest in leaving (before now) so, cool.

This time round, I chose the iPhone 5c and it was sent to me first thing the next day (yesterday).

Great.

Got the phone, but my Galaxy S3 sim didn't fit, of course.

I went to my local Vodafone store (20 minutes away) to get a nano sim and secure a sim swap.

Fab.

About 4 hours later, my new sim still wasn't working - i.e. I couldn't make/receive calls or texts.

So I call up Vodafone and asked what the problem was, the man on the phone told me to remove the new sim from the iPhone and "pop it back in". 

Before I did this, I asked the Vodafone employee over the phone how to put the sim back in (because I'm new to the iPhone and didn't know how the whole slider thing worked). He told me, "put the sim in first and then put the slider in".

I did.

The sim got stuck and was wedged inside.

I told him.

"The sim is stuck in the phone and the phone is still saying 'sim not activated'".

He said, "take it back to Vodafone, they'll sort it out."

So I did.

Another 20 minute drive to Vodafone (I live in a village) and the employees there tell me there's nothing they can do. I must either pay £190 for them to try to take out the sim, or head over to an Apple store (nearest Genius Bar is 90 minutes from me) who could probably do it for free. 

I was confused. 

I'm 2 days into my "14-day return" guarantee, and Vodafone is telling me there's nothing they can do about a problem they indirectly caused through bad advice from their employee. I wonder, if the sim was wedged in by their own hands, would they still be turning the responsbility back on me? Probably not.

In any case, I got home, called up again and asked to speak to management, twice. The employees refused to let me speak to a manager, claiming they were "out" - at 3pm on a weekday??

So, where am I now?

I've been left to deal with the situation myself, with no compensation.

And until I get compensation, I'll be spreading the word about a company who takes no responsibility for their own liability, and leaves their loyal paying customers to deal with issues themselves just because it is "outside warantee" - even though it's well within the 14 days.

Disappointed isn't even the word.

But if I get compensated, or at least better treatment, I'll be back to say so.

I don't believe in unfair reviews. Just the truth. 

34 REPLIES 34

Joanna please if you need a repair go via Apple.  Also think about consumer right/ citizens advice.

~~Clear eyes - Full Hart - Can't lose~~
“As wars come and go, my soldier stays eternal”

My comments represent my opinion which is not affiliated or sponsored in any way. 

Hartluck
12: Established
12: Established

The customer is always right until they are proven wrong,  No one here has authority to prove Joanna wrong as she is a peer not a customer.

~~Clear eyes - Full Hart - Can't lose~~
“As wars come and go, my soldier stays eternal”

My comments represent my opinion which is not affiliated or sponsored in any way. 

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@Hartluck wrote:

The customer is always right until they are proven wrong,  No one here has authority to prove Joanna wrong as she is a peer not a customer.

This thread is going round in circles.  We have already had this discussion.

Citizens/Consumers advise etc wont be one bit interested or be able to help.  The simple fact is the OP didn't make any effort or attempt to refer to her user guide and simply wedged her SIM straight into the SIM holder and has to get the SIM professionally removed which will necessitate a repair.

The customer is not always right and in this instance she has to take the advise given by our Community Manager.  

"The customer is always right until they are proven wrong"...

Quite sure anyone who works in a service industry will agree that this is one of thee most misunderstood, mis-interpreted, and quite frankly wrong statements ever spoken.

Another one that is just as ambiguous is "all customers are liars" 😉

Nabs

Hartluck wrote:

Seriously man?  They talked her through thus offering technical assistance so any mis-hap is on them.

So on that basis I should complain to my driving instructor about that crash I had, It must have been their fault because they offered technical assistance when I was learning to drive...

I will happily side with whichever company, be that Vodafone or anyone else, that gave the correct advice that was incorrectly followed. If the advice given were incorrect then I would side with the customer.

Hartluck wrote:

Wear the shoes before you fling mud at them.

I have made my fair share of mistakes in life and have dealt with and learnt from them every time. Some have been very expensive and difficult to rectify and other less so but not once have I tried to blame someone else for something that I have done wrong.