IanML
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Why do I consistently receive loads of emails on my iPhone which have:

* no sender

* no subject line

* no content

and a send date in 1970?

This started a coupla months ago and I was hoping it would stop as spontaneously as it started, but sadly no. So why am I getting them and how do I stop getting them?

(they do disappear from my email boxes after a while.)

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi and Welcome to the forum

If it does not hold personal info could you upload a screen grab of how the email looks.

It may help the Tech Team here.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks - here's the screenshot. This shows a couple of the emails I'm referring to; sometimes it downloads half a dozen of them, one after another.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Who is you email provider?

Once way to stop historic emails being pushed to your phone is to go to the webmail of your provider and move all the read emails into an archive folder (it will still be accessible). Then disable POP in webmail and then re-enable and set it to treat mail that arrives from today as POP mail. also check that your phone is correctly set to the right date.

Delete the email account from your phone and set it up again as POP mail. That should then only push email that arrive from the time you re-enable POP mail to your phone.

If you are also using another device are you receiving these old email on that?

Thanks, but you misunderstand me: these aren't "old emails" - they are "phantom emails" - no content, no sender, no title; dated 01-01-1970. And yes, I have a laptop which receives my emails but doesn't not get these phantom emails - I only get them via Vodafone on the iPhone. 

BandOfBrothers
Hi

Thank you for posting a screen grab.

Can you try these possible fixes.

Disable then re-enable Mail. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap the account in which the phantom messages are appearing. Slide Mail to “Off” then exit Settings and go to Mail; the messages should be gone. Now go back to Settings and turn Mail back on.

Force quit Mail. Go to the home screen, then double-press the Home button to bring up the multitasking pane. Find the Mail app, then hold its icon until it begins to wiggle, then tap the small red circle in the upper-left corner of the icon to quit it. Relaunch Mail, and the messages should be gone.

Turn off threading. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and turn off “Organize by Thread.” This may prevent the phantom messages from appearing.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.