Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 5 battery/switch on issues.

paul ireland
4: Newbie

Hi

My iPhone 5 recently started to go through battery charges faster and faster, this morning it just has the low batter sign and it won't charge up and it won't go into reset mode.

After looking on the Apple site it would appear, after typing in my serial number, that my phone has a battery issue.

The trouble i have is that I can't switch off find my phone and I can't disable the screen lock.

The Apple page is here: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone5-battery/

Is Vodafone UK aware of this issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pi,

Apple are aware of a limited batch issue as you can see. I understand the waiting time in some Apple stores for a replacement is currently 4-6 weeks. 

If you'd like to do the repair with us instead, please visit our repair guide here. If your warranty has been invalidated, there may be a fee. You can read more about the warranty here.

For more information on the repairs process, check out this video guide. :Smiling:

Cheers,

Ben

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

If Apple are aware of the battery problem, I would deal with them directly, especially as they have already set up a process in order to resolve the issue. 

The only way to find out for certain if Vodafone are aware of this issue is to send your phone off for repair with them.

PWIAC

Hi drey_p

Thanks for your reply, on the Apple page it states to get in touch with the provider, which is why I am asking Vodafone here.

Thought it may be faster and what the cost would be.

Many thanks

pi

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pi,

Apple are aware of a limited batch issue as you can see. I understand the waiting time in some Apple stores for a replacement is currently 4-6 weeks. 

If you'd like to do the repair with us instead, please visit our repair guide here. If your warranty has been invalidated, there may be a fee. You can read more about the warranty here.

For more information on the repairs process, check out this video guide. :Smiling:

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben

Thank's for your reply, I have been in contact with Apple and they have recognised that my phone is within the serial number range.

I am awaiting a box to arrive so I can send my phone off.

They haven't mentioned a waiting time, so I will check with them how long this is likely to take, 5 or 6 weeks would be out of the question!

Thanks' again

Paul

StuartWatts
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have the same problem but my phone is not a serial number in the Apple range that constitutes a warany repairs for the battery problem.

I took it to Vodaphone shop as intrucvted to do so by Vodaphone Customer services for repair and after the phone has been with then for a week, they tell me the phone is bent and therefore not in warranty!

The phone was certainly not bent when I took it andf the repair tech I spoke to at Vodaphone said the phone is very slightly bent and aknowleged that this would not affect the phone operation or the battery problem I was experiencing! He suggested it may have been in a pocket when the user sat down (He therefore suggests that the phone is not suitable for keeping in a pocket!)

Vodaphone now  want to charge £190.00 to repair the phone which was not bent when it was sent to Vodaphone and has a recognised Iphone 5 battery problem. How fair is that?

That sounds like a dreadful experience, how old is the phone?

Have you asked for it back?

Have you spoken to Trading Standards?

Electrical items sold in the EU have a two year warranty, I know they are saying it is bent, but surely they have to prove that?

There is no way I would consider handing my phone in to Vodafone UK, glad I didn't because in the end Apple gave me a brand new replacement!

Hope you get it sorted, as time goes by I realise Vodafone are a terrible company that doesn't care about it's customers or it's coverage, my entire families contracts wil be coming to an end soon, and we will all be leaving Vodafone.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Take the phone to an Apple store and ask them to run a diagnosis on the battery, if they find there is a fault ask them to replace the battery, as long as there is no physical damage to the phone they will swap your phone for a replacement phone and charge you only for the battery, about £70 i think for a 5.

Depending how far out of warranty it is the Apple stores have the discretion to do a straight swap without charge.