cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 5 dropping from 3G to edge and back up to GPRS and no further!

jobe77
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi,

About 3 weeks ago I started having a problem with my iphone 5 (about 18 months old) where after connecting to the VF service after coming out of a no signal area (like my local supermarket) only the voice element would return an not the data connection.

Checking online, most people resolved this by turning the airplane mode off and the on again, but this didn't work for me. The only solution was to shut the phone down and restart. After two weeks of frustration I contacted VF to see what technical support could be offered.

After explaining to the operator that the phone had be reset and restored twice, the issue was put down to the SIM card and a new one was sent out (turns out the sim wasn't updating itself on the network very often).

Today I am facing a slightly different (but possibly related) problem where my phone will start off on 3G after startup but after a few minutes will drop down to GPRS and then to edge. After a couple of mins the GPRS returns but 3G does not.

If I switch the 3G button off in the settings and then back on the 3G signal is restored and the above scenario repeats itself.

I currently have a 3G iPad Air and an old HTC phone, both on VF and both showing clear 3G/HSDPA signals.

I have uploaded two photos of my iphone 5 with both my iPad and HTC phone so you can see the comparison. I am currently in the WF1 2 area, although I reside in the RH11 9 area.

Any help appreciated as speaking to the VF tech support today was a waste of time, because all they wanted to do was reset the phone or send a new SIM card out.

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue having completed these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP.

Thanks
Matt

The issue surrounding the dropping from 3G to Edge does seem to have resolved itself, but I am still getting problems when I return to a network area from a no signal area.

Today I went to the local supermarket, which caused my signal to drop completely. Upon exiting the store the 2G signal returned but the data signal did not (see photo).

I have tried switching carriers to and from Vodafone as well as performing a wipe/restore from iTunes to no avail. The only solution is to switch the phone off and restart it. The phone is running iOS 7.1.2.

On a side note, which may/may not be related, but PUSH email does not seem to be sent to the phone all the time, I can get the mail manually, but it very rarely gets sent automatically. I have had text messages turn up over 30 minutes later than they were sent and sometimes in bunches.

Anyway here is the network template.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

-- Anywhere where I lose complete signal and then regain it.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here.

-- As per 1. I reside in RH11 9QQ. Local store today was in RH12 3YU

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

-- Dont have another phone that takes the sim. The sim was replaced about 2/3 weeks ago.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

-- No data signal indicator (see attached photo) until the phone is restarted.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

-- All.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

-- 2 months ago. Called technical support a couple of times and they sent the new sim card out.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

-- Can be recreated every time I loose signal.