Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 5s - strong 3G signal but no data connection

snappy67
2: Seeker

Hello

Have an iPhone 5s on a (not 4G) contract.  I noticed today that it was not getting any data when away from wifi, even though it indicated a decent 3G signal.  Can still text  and make calls but no emails or apps that need data will work.  No internet.  Strangely, though, the My Vodafone app will work and seems to be able to access data.  Eg from the 'support' area I can visit the eforum and see posts made just now.

Initially thought it may be a network issue but checked the network status area of the website and there are no reported issues. Also, it still didn't work on the journey home (8-10 miles) and still refuses to work through my sure signal.  My wife's 4s works fine through it with wifi off.

I have tried hard and soft resets, updated the iOS software to the latest version, taken out and replaced the SIM card, toggled the cellular data, roaming and airplane mode buttons and reset the network settings.  No Joy.

Would be grateful if anyone had any ideas!

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

Holby23
Hello.

Their system has been down since Wednesday for some customers and there is no projected date for the issue to be resolved.
I have spoken to customer services twice (horrendous service - I was on hold for 28 minutes earlier) and they told me this today.
I have said that they have until mid morning tomorrow to resolve the situation or I will cancel my contract.
It's really weird as other people on Vodafone aren't effected.
Basically I was told there is nothing that can be done until the engineers fix it.

Thanks for the reply Holby

It felt like a VF issue as opposed to handset, but I couldn't find any evidence of a widespread problem. Perhaps not looking in the right place. Might have to give CS a ring when I've got a spare hour!

Holby23
It's still not working today. I went into the Vodafone store to check it wasn't the sim and they also confirmed that it was the system at fault.
This is so annoying and far from acceptable.
I hope you manage to sort something out. I'm leaving Vodafone today as I'm fed up with how poor their service is.
Good luck.

Thanks. Useful to know the sim swap didn't work. It's the only thing I couldn't check - no one else with a VF nano sim phone handy.... Hope they sort it soon.

Hi everyone,

We have information on this issue here.

Thanks,

Wayne

The service is still down. Your generic emails are of no help and just add to the frustration.

Sort it out! Horrendous service!,

Tomorrow will be a week without any internet service. Shambolic! Not good enough!

whoswho
4: Newbie
Still says I have 3G but can't actually access anything via mobile data including imessage. Only works on wifi. Vodafone service is deplorable. I've followed instructions for hard reset twice today and still nothing. How can I cancel my contract due to vodafone not upholding their part of the contract we have?

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If you want to cancel your contract, you can call up 191.  They will be able to give you the price of the Early Termination Fee for the time remaining in you contract. I'm afraid that you won't be released from your contract without penalty due to a network fault. 

PWIAC