Support:

iPhone 5, 5s and 5c

Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
Jonnwhite

iPhone Insurance?

I dropped my iPhone 5 and managed to dent the bottom of it a small bit. phones still working perfectly, it just annoying me because i know it is there, not a major problem forget about it most of the time, I have a case covering it but i was just wondering if vodafone insurance would replace it because of this? Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 11 (2,917 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
FelixDaHousecat

Re: iPhone Insurance?

hiya mate,

strictly its accidental damage so it would be covered but with all insurance companies one assumes theyd go for the cheaper option of repairing it rather than replacimg it, a bit like your car insurance company. if they can fix instead of replacimg, theyll fix first.

fdh

Message 2 of 11 (2,914 Views)
Jonnwhite

Hello,

So what you are saying they will repair/replace it? I dont have insurance yet but im seriously thinging about taking it out for my iPhone just incase. Or towards the end of the 1st year when the warrenty starts to run out. 

Message 3 of 11 (2,909 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master
drey_p

Hi there - a dent / chip on the phone is classified as cosmetic damage and isn't covered by the mobile phone insurance.  It is excluded under the following:

The insurer shall not be liable for: .... The cost of:

(i) Cosmetic damage including repairs to interior or exterior paintwork caused by scratching or chipping of paintwork or polished surfaces;

Also, please bear in mind that taking out insurance with the intention of making a claim for damage that occured before you had the insurance is actually insurance fraud.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:
Message 4 of 11 (2,866 Views)
Jonnwhite

I'm not considering taking it out to claim for this incident. I mean I'm co spidering taking it out invade this happens in the near future. As its not converted I don't think I'll do it yet.
Message 5 of 11 (2,830 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
kids

Jonnwhite wrote:

Hello,

So what you are saying they will repair/replace it? I dont have insurance yet but im seriously thinging about taking it out for my iPhone just incase. Or towards the end of the 1st year when the warrenty starts to run out. 

You mention waiting until your warranty is nearing the end but you need to be aware that your warranty from Apple does not cover accidental damage only hardware or software faults, as  neither does the extended warranty.

Also taking out Insurance may require you to take the phone to a Vodafone store for inspection, a procedure that helps discourage people taking out Insurance and then making claim for loss / damage for an  event that occured priot to the inception of the policy..

Message 6 of 11 (2,823 Views)
Jonnwhite

I know this, about the apple warranty. But what's the point in paying the extra money to vodafone when I have a warranty from apple that cover what mostly goes wrong in phones. Then after the year taking out the vodafone insurance so I still have some type of protection. I understand this also about the inspection. Although I may just take out apple care again to cover my iphone MacBook Pro and iPad. Thanks for you're help and information. Ill see what happens nearer the time.
Jon.
Message 7 of 11 (2,810 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
kids

Jonnwhite wrote:
I know this, about the apple warranty. But what's the point in paying the extra money to vodafone when I have a warranty from apple that cover what mostly goes wrong in phones. Then after the year taking out the vodafone insurance so I still have some type of protection.

The advantage of taking out the Vodafone Insurance is that it covers you for loss or damage something which the standard Apple warranty does not.

Although these days most household Insurance policies will cover loss or damage to a single item valued up to £1000, so you may already be covered under you home policy.

Message 8 of 11 (2,808 Views)
Jonnwhite

I still live with my parents and I believe we do have house insurance. Will have to look into that. As I didn't think about this.
Thanks
Jon
Message 9 of 11 (2,803 Views)
Rank 9: Helper III
danielp808

Hi,

it is very unlikely a company is going to offer an exchange for such minor damage, especially as they would not want to give you a brand new one but a refurbished model instead, which are ofcourse not widely available yet.

it is also unlikely your parents will want to pay the excess and face a rise in their insurance costs for such minor damage!

im in the same position myself! do what i did, get a case and move on!

Message 10 of 11 (2,797 Views)
Jonnwhite

I have got a case. However we were talking about weighing our Voda insurance or home insurance. For losses etc. please refer to the post and you'll see what I mean. We have house insurance with Nationwide Bank. I think after the year I will insure all 3 of my apple devices.
Message 11 of 11 (2,791 Views)