Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone storage

flippydip90
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I signed up for a 24 month contract June 2014. I have an iPhone 5c. It is only 8GB and it is so frustrating because I never have any space for many photos, I only have one album of music. I have purchased extra Cloud storage but this doesn't help with the apps and my phone won't update as there isn't enough space. Is there anything I can do, the phone is fine apart from this and its really limiting what I can use it for. Any advice would be greatfully received!

Thanks

Dani

2 REPLIES 2

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Well this is a tough one. Frankly 8GB just isn't enough and I don't know why Apple even markets such a device. Personally I would have thought that 32B was the minimum and my iPhone is 64GB.

You'll have to keep apps to a minimum and and not use use up too much space with music and photos.

If you sync the phone with ITunes you should be able to update to the latest version of iOS that way.

Another issue with iPhones is that you can't add memory cards so there is no way of expanding the memory at all. Interestingly, Samsung has now gone this route with the Galaxy S6.

You only have two options and they are both expensive:

1. Pay off your existing contract and then upgrade to a better phone - you can sell the iPhone to help fund this.

2. Buy an iPhone outright and use it with the existing contract,

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers
Unfortunately the 8gb memory is also reduced as some is taken up by the phones iOS firmware ,so you get just over 7gb of user availability.

As said you can back up using iTunes and a Pc / Mac.

I personally use DropBox to store my pictures to which can be set up to auto send a copy of the picture to Dropbox too. This service can also hold other data such as music etc. take a look.

Delete rarely used Apps , email & attachments , reminders , notes , videos and iMessages / texts and use music playlists so your not carrying your whole music library with you to try and save some Space.

Also the 'other ' section in your iTunes is accumulated data and iOS.

If you restore your iPhone you should see some space recovered too. Do make a back up before carrying this out.

I also agree  shouldn't really release an 8Gb iPhone version as most end users are not aware of the actual user available memory and what can take it up quickly. Meaning a lot of micro managing can take place in order to have space.

 do not allow memory cards I believe in order to keep their iOS firmware 'sandboxed' thus ultra safe against outside attack. Another reason why  don't allow transfer of data via its Bluetooth option.

I personally use the 16gb option in my iPhone's and find with options such as DropBox I manage quite well.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.