Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iphone 5 bought from apple but locked to vodafone

langstroth2
2: Seeker
Help!. I seem to be going around in circles. Bought iphone 5 phone off ebay for use by daughter. It's supposed to be unlocked. Contacted seller who has stated she bought it direct form an apple store - but it appears to be locked to Vodafone. She has also contacted Vodafone to be told they wouldn't have locked it. Apple state they can't unlock phones - only network providers. Please advise!
16 REPLIES 16

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

If Apple supplied the phone to someone with a contract or PAYG line, the handset will be locked.  If it was supplied without a line by Apple, it will be unlocked.  You need to have a chat with the original owner about how they got the phone, what it was supplied with etc.

PWIAC

langstroth2

Just to add:

- the seller said that the Vodafone help desk checked and stated "On their systems it shows that the phone is not locked to the network". However if we put a none Vodafone SIM in it states its not verified for use on the phone.

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello langstroth2

Have you tried synchronising to itunes ?

Take a look at the following link from Apple support, it may help.

Get help activating your iPhone

If you are still having problems, you will need to go back to the seller.

Thanks for the really prompt responses. I'll try synchronising as suggested. 

Unfortunately the itunes sync didn't work - still says the SIM card is not supported. 

drey_p

You're gonna have to go back to the seller then and ask a few questions about how they bought it - if it included a line or not. 

PWIAC

I'll ask.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Response from seller:

"I don't know how the phone is locked to Vodafone as I bought it in the apple shop, already had a contract but bought the phone seperate due to the iphone 5 coming out."

Apparently she has already contacted you, but had no reponse:

"I've spoke to Vodafone and they do not understand how they have locked it as it was purchased from the apple shop. On their systems it shows that the phone is not locked to the network.

I am awaiting a call tomorrow as I've forwarded all the information to them". She contacted you 4 days ago apparently - no response.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
Ask the seller for a copy of the sales receipt from Apple.

That will show if the phone was sold as an unlocked phone or with a carrier plan (locked).