Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 2G toggle still after ios8.1 upgrade

masai
4: Newbie

Hello,

Following the recent ios 8.1 upgrade the toggle to disable 3g/ enable 2g or edge should be visable, but it is not.

I had this option on my iphone 5 using the same vodafone simcard so maybe its not a vodafone issue but an apple issue. 

I spoke with Apple and they are saying to speak to my carrier.

Any help please?

Its really useful to disable 3G when in a poor network coverage area.

Thanks! :Smiling:

126 REPLIES 126

jsphshi
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have same issue  on ios 8.1 using iphone 6 .Have contacted Apple they said to check with the carrier .I assume a carrier update will sort it out ?

I am on a 4g plan

Switching between 2g/3g/4g is not possible & there is no toggle to do this

Carrier Vodafone UK 18.0

IOS version 8.1

Iphone model MG4H2B/A

Anyone to help us ?

Many Thanks

masai
4: Newbie

Its got to be an apple issue, their message boards are full of people all over the world having this problem.

On the official io8.1 changelog it states... "Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data"

I have tried rebooting my phone, reseting network connections, restore through itunes and removing and re-adding the vodafone settings via a text message from vodafone.  The same sim in an android phone lets me disable 3g so its most likely an apple issue that requires carriers changing something, but what that something is I have no idea!

Any vodafone reps listening in? Please help! :Smiling:

I'm guessing it's down to the carrier to implement said setting through an update.

It would be good to have this feature for times signal falls back to Edge or GPRS.

I updated to 8.1 today.  After seeing this post I had a look and I have the option to select 2g, 3g and 4g.  Not in the old toggle style but under voice and data says 3G with an arrow which then allows me to select any of the above.  Strange that you guys don't have this and if a carrier issue why do I have it?  I am on a 3G plan with an IPhone 5.

Pengu have released a jailbreak for ios8 and ios8.1. I wasn't planning on jailbreaking but may have to if it brings the option to disable 3g. No english version or cydia yet but should be in the next week or 2.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi guys,

As this is a firmware update by the manufacturer, this is something they’ll need to update.

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny, it seems strange that people with iphone 5 or 5s running ios 8.1 are seeing the toggles. It seems only iphone 6 and 6plus users dont get the toggles. I spoke with apple and they said its a carrier issue and your saying its a manufacturer issue. Very confusing!

It seems more so a Vodafone issue than an Apple one. I know people who are on various networks in the USA, some have the toggle feature some don't so Apple are correct in this instance.

Im not sure now if this is a vodafone issue as 2 friends with iphone 6 (not plus) running ios 8.1, one is on EE and another on o2 and they dont have the toggles either.... The plot thickens!