Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 2G toggle still after ios8.1 upgrade

masai
4: Newbie

Hello,

Following the recent ios 8.1 upgrade the toggle to disable 3g/ enable 2g or edge should be visable, but it is not.

I had this option on my iphone 5 using the same vodafone simcard so maybe its not a vodafone issue but an apple issue. 

I spoke with Apple and they are saying to speak to my carrier.

Any help please?

Its really useful to disable 3G when in a poor network coverage area.

Thanks! :Smiling:

126 REPLIES 126

I found this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZl0l8RELs I will try tonight or tomorrow and report back!

I GOT THE 2G/3G/4G TOGGLES!!! I followed the instructions on this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ubxAxJr_M In some steps on the video the file that needs to edited is a little different, there are tofggles he mentions that simly are'nt there in my phone. I did not create them, only the one he mentions to enable3g. I followed his advise and made a backup copy of the file as upon a reboot the settings revert back but simply pasting the backup in the right location, turning on airplane for 10 secs and turning it off brings the 2G/3G/4G toggles back. I did it last night and have experienced no problems, so good to finally have the toggles back!IMG_0134.PNG

IMG_0135.PNG

IMG_0136.PNG

IMG_0137.PNG

James5566
10: Established

I didn't want to jailbreak my phone but what choice do I have?

Carry on being forced to use 3G/4G and have my battery deplete within 4 hours of charging it fully and having dropped calls from having poor 3G signal or jailbreak and be free to use 2G when I don't need fast data, making my phone battery last all day and being able to use it for calls?

Well after following that video I can now choose what band I want to be on.

It's a simple little update to the carrier settings.

http://imageshack.com/a/img674/8297/ErcNgo.png

James5566
Which videos mate? Mine is jail broken but can't get it to work with IOS 8.

dmdrewitt
4: Newbie
Vodafone, please can you escalate to a higher tech level again with this new information showing it IS possible with a change to carrier settings and stop advising us that apple must make this change.

This thread won't die down. We need the 2G toggle without a jailbreak.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

Apple have stated over and over again that the enabling of the 2G/3G toggle is totally down to the choice of the carrier, it is not a restriction that Apple have applied.

All carriers have the necessary codes to enable 2G/3G is they wish to. It is irresponsible of Vodafone to remove the option especially when in parts of the country the 3G network is abysmal making the phones unusable.

I was having a play with the settings and by the looks of it all that is needed to be done to get the toggles is to turn off the "Enable4GByDefault" option in the devise carrier file. you'll need to turn that option off each time you reboot your phone to get the toggles. Can't believe how simple it is... Come on Vodafone! Seems crazy to have to jailbreak your phone to make one small, simple change!

IMG_0138.PNG

I have just used TaiG to JB iOS 8.1.1 and enable 2G toggle. Works great.

Shame VF Tech won't send out new carrier settings to do this.

There is nothing Apple need to do, it is all in Carrier settings as per previous posts in this thread.

kids

Pleased that you have the 2G toggle back, but a dissapointment that Vodafone will not enable the function as they are capable of doing for users who do not wish to jailbreak their phones.

I have been working at home for the past 4 days and have been unable to use my phone during that time as there is no 3G signal where I live.

I shudder to think how anyone confined to their home and without a landline would summon assistance in an emergency  if they are  missing 2G toggle in an area without 3G coverage.