Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 2G toggle still after ios8.1 upgrade

masai
4: Newbie

Hello,

Following the recent ios 8.1 upgrade the toggle to disable 3g/ enable 2g or edge should be visable, but it is not.

I had this option on my iphone 5 using the same vodafone simcard so maybe its not a vodafone issue but an apple issue. 

I spoke with Apple and they are saying to speak to my carrier.

Any help please?

Its really useful to disable 3G when in a poor network coverage area.

Thanks! :Smiling:

126 REPLIES 126

I have to say this is a real pain....why can't Vodafone change the carrier settings??!!!

It makes using a phone in a 2G area with a very poor 3G/4G signal completely useless - the phone switches to 3G/4G on 1 bar of signal, then drops the call/ hangs when you (or if you even manage) to get a call.....

Sounds to be a simple change, so why are Vodafone not doing anything about it?

James5566
10: Established
Because they don't care!

If you want the 2G toggle back you're forced to jailbreak.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
This is a carrier issue and not an Apple issue. I am at the moment in Thailand and using my unlocked iPhone 5s on the DTAC network. On arrival here i updated the carrier setting from DTAC and I have the 2G / 3G toggle as well as the option for 4G. The AIS network here in Thailand also offer sthe same options.

In India Vodafone also have the 2G / 3G toggle. All it needs is or Vodafone to push out a revised set of carrier settings, or alternatively provide a 3G network that has a reliable signal throughout the UK so that 2G is never needed. The current setting in the UK render some devices useless at times in certain areas of the UK.

It is not rocket science and if a third world country such as Thailand are capable of enabling 2 G / 3G then I am sure that Vodafone could also do so "IF" they wanted to.

dmdrewitt
Vodafone please listed to custoners. It is a free fix to enable this 2G toggle. It just needs the relevant tech manager to authorise.

I have to jailbreak my iphone 6 to get the toggle back .In my area there is 3g/4g is not good enough & the phone is not switching to 2g automatically.I live in London zone 3 As the above comment IF vodafone want to they can do it .Dont understand whats making them stop ?

To Vodafone customer support:

A Simple Christmas gift you can give to your ios8 customers this year to spread some festive joy (so that we can actually use the phone to call some friends and family).  

Change the carrier settings PLEASE!

It may even spread into being a Happy New Year....

(although by the responses so far, it will be a quiet, call free New Year :smileysad:)

dmdrewitt
+ 1 - At least could we get a response from the department as to why they won't allow this 2G toggle ????? PLEASE !!

Hi everyone,

We don't currently have any information regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Matt B

What does "We don't currently have any information regarding this issue." mean? If you do a google search on this, it does come up as an issue - one that points to the Carrier settings....

Is this being investigated or actioned, or is nothing being done? 

James5566
^

Standard.