Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone 3G suffering due to 4G Roll out

CAM1
4: Newbie

I dont want to upgrade to 4G just get 3G which i have a contract with Vodafone with.  Are they in breach of contract? 

Replaced names with Tags but taken from transcript of Live Chat. 

<me> : I was promised back last December by vodafone that they where taking on 02 masts to help with coverage and this would improve early 2014. It hasnt. As for the last 4 to 5 weeks as vodafone has rolled out 4g i am getting less 3g coverage
<Customer Service Operator> : We have joined O2 masts to expand our coverage, however the reason the 3G may have decreased is so that the can impliment the 4G. As like I say 4G will be the new signal as its much stronger and faster then 2G and 3G.

21 REPLIES 21

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Our contracts with Vodafone are not for any particular type of signal so you cannot insist on 3G.

Also the O2 arrangement is just for the physical mast not the sending and receiving equipment - O2 and Vodafone are still entirely separate for that. Actually 3G is getting better on the back of 4G as far as I can tell.

Either way, there is no breach of contract I'm afraid.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

CAM1
Thanks for the reply.

Really noticeable how poor 3g coverage is since 4G rollout. What's clear from the customer rep comments is that Vodafone know they are sacrificing 3g for 4G. My Wife has 4G contract and getting 4G coverage in areas I previously was able to get 3g coverage in.

Really poor effort from Vodafone. With them 8 years.

Looking forward to trying another network. Broken promises if not broken contact ☺

jeffkinn

Actually 3G services are being improved at the same time as 4G as they are starting to use the 900MHz frequency which gives better indoor coverage.

But each of us can only speak as we find. 3G has definitely improved where I am in Essex and we don't have 4G yet.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

CAM1
Anyone else notice the same?

CAM1
Jeffkin are you on a 4G plan?

jeffkinn

I am but there is no 4G anywhere near me. That wouldn't make any differene to how I receive the 3G signal. Same phone. Same sim.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

CAM1
Ahh. Maybe if I pay for a 4G contract at extra money I will get good 3g signal. Joking aside like yourself I can only comment on my experience. Which is so bad I'm willing to pay early termination fee.

jeffkinn

Have you looked at the coverage checker to see what type of signal you should be getting?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

CAM1
3g or 4G.