Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Call and data at the same time with iPhone 6 and Vodafone

Tomir71
2: Seeker

I am and also my colleagues who have iPhone 6 and Vodafone SIM are experiencing this: when you make a call the data first drops from 4G to 3G and eventually the data is not available at all, it happens gradually within a minute or so. It only happens with iPhone 6, people with iPhone 5S are fine. Also people who have iPhone 6 and O2 SIM are fine. There must be Vodafone specific issue or setting for this. The people in Vodafone stores can't help. This really annoying, you can't talk and browse or e.g. use Google Maps at the same time. Vodafone blames Apple for it but it's not Apple's fault since iPhone 6 works perfectly with O2 and some other operators as well.

We are all pay mothly customers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I have an iPhone 6+ and I'm not experiencing this problem.

4G is a data only service and thus all phones drop to 3G when the phone is being used for a voice call. But it should step back up to 4G afterwards.

Have you done a hard reset on the phone recently? Have you installed the Vodafone profile? If not text the word web to 40127 and follow the link they send you.

If that doesn't help sync with iTunes to ensure you have the correct carrier settings.

The final procedure is to wipe all settings and set the phone up as a new phone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

Jebelious
16: Advanced member

Had a friend test it and it works ok on an iPhone 6 he has on Vodafone, only difference was that he was not connected to 4G and initiated the call whilst on 3G.

It may be that the device is not detecting 3g correctly meaning it cant establish a data connection. Can you disable 4g on the iPhone 6 and retest?

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

That actually did helped. But I'd like to use 4G which I pay for. People testing with O2 don't have this problem. What it should do is that when you initiate the call on 4G it should drop to 3G and stay there.

You think this is something Apple should fix or Vodafone?

jeffkinn

I have an iPhone 6+ and I'm not experiencing this problem.

4G is a data only service and thus all phones drop to 3G when the phone is being used for a voice call. But it should step back up to 4G afterwards.

Have you done a hard reset on the phone recently? Have you installed the Vodafone profile? If not text the word web to 40127 and follow the link they send you.

If that doesn't help sync with iTunes to ensure you have the correct carrier settings.

The final procedure is to wipe all settings and set the phone up as a new phone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Jebelious

The problem could be where you may have 4G the 3g services are not good enough to establish a decent data connection. The device can not utilise 4G and 3G at the same time i would imagine this may be the case until VoLTE comes out

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

Hi,

I have experienced the same problem on my iPhone 5s. My 3G/4G drops when I am on a call after about 30 seconds. This is most unhelpful when I tend to use my phone as a hotspot for my work laptop/VPN. I originally didn't have the vodafone profile installed, although this makes my 3G/4G connection faster, I still get the connectivity issues I previously experienced.

I am also experiencing an issue that if I don't use my phone for 30 mins or so it looses connection to the 3G/4G and the only way to kickstart it into life is to which airplane mode on and off again to refresh the connection.

I have tried resetting the network settings and deleting and reinstalling the vodafone profile, this doesn't resolve the issue...

I'd be grateful if anyone can help,

Stephen

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@stevetmobile - Please try the steps in our network troubleshooting thread.

If you're still experiencing the issue after completing these steps, post the template with your answers here and we'll get back to you ASAP.

It could be that you are actually dropping from 4G to 3G and because the 3G signal is weak you are then dropping to 2G.

On 2G you cannot use data and calls at the same time, not that 2G data is that useable anyway, but you would then see the 3G icon disappear.

Hi,

I have been through the same steps as you have above e.g. swapping sim cards for new, resetting my network settings. I still have problems with using my 3g/4g while on a call in a good signal area.

The best help I got was from another forum post which, to install the vodafone connection profile by texting 'web' to 40127. This didn't fix my issues but has increased my download speed by 50%.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to use data and be on a call, i'd be grateful for any help?

Kind Regards,

Steve

Donvictor
Hi,
I just purchased the iPhone 6s from vodafone with a 4g contract.
I also have the same problem. While i am on the call I still have 3g but because I am driving all day the signal is change all the time. And if it ones drop to 2g, the data connection stops. And even if the signal get stronger, the 3g never coming back on again. I checked the vodafone network setting and I did set it up on my phone (gave the APN name, username and password) I cant find anything else to set up.
Is there any solution to not to loose the data connection even if I am in a long phone call and by the time the signal drop down???

Thanks