cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple's iPhone 7 ditches traditional headphone socket.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Source: BBC News. 

Link > Apple's iPhone 7 ditches traditional headphone socket

Excerpt from the link

"The iPhone 7 will not have a traditional headphone socket.
Apple said its lightning connector could be used instead, which would make room for other components. It will also promote the use of wireless earphones, and has released a set of its own called Airpods.
The firm said it had taken "courage" to take the step.
However, it risks annoying users who will now require an adapter for existing headphones.
"

My thoughts. 

I use bluetooth headphones on my iPhone but I do also use a set of Monster Turbines in ear that cost £130 so it's good Apple are supplying an adapter in the box. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

19 REPLIES 19

redpages

Given my track record of losing small parts I'm going to stick with a plug in set, whether lightning connection or traditional ones using the adapter. I don't mind the adapter too much as it'll just live on the end of the headphones.

The 'charging while listening to music' is my only issue, although that could lead to someone knocking together a lightning connector with a dual port (if that's technically possible or not)

Fair point about the HTC Magic, Nabs. I'd not given that phone much thought in years but was quite fond of it back in the day. I can still remember being blown away by how it took Google Street View mobile. 

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

BandOfBrothers

Something I've just read that's interesting. 

"Apple has also removed the headphone jack from the bottom of the iPhone 7 Plus.

Instead, it has introduced a secondary speaker grille.

It is only for aesthetic purposes, though, and does not house a secondary speaker.

The secondary speaker is located within the earpiece grille at the top.

Apple says this new speaker setup is 2x louder than iPhone 6s Plus"

from Difference-between-iphone-7-plus-iphone-6s-plus.

Current Phone  >

Dear Apple,

Please take a look at the HTC M9, it might help you understand how to fit components into the body of a Phone?

You will note the the M9 has;

Stereo speakers (with actual speakers at each end)

A headphone Jack

A separate charging/data port

Front and back cameras

Dual LED flash

An IR blaster

Micro SD expansion slot

Haptic feedback motor (for onscreen feedback)

I understand you were unable to find room for the headphone Jack, micro SD card or IR blaster. You also had trouble understanding that speakers fit at each end of the phone...

Please take a look at the image below, it might help you with next year's design?

Keep up the good work with the innovation!

Sarcastically yours

An Android User... :smileytongue:

images.jpg

jeffkinn
Dear Android User, Apple is the most valuable company in history and HTC is a busted flush. Love Apple. (Sorry Tim. Couldn't resist the annoying smart Alec reply)

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

thesoupdragon

Haha Jeff, touche... 😄

Although not ideal, and somewhat expensive given it's an Apple product, you can buy one of the Lightning Docks. 

These have 3.5mm ports on them while allowing you to charge simultaneously.

screen-shot-2016-09-08-at-11.23.10.png

jeffkinn
Buy some cheap bluetooth headphones from Ebay. I picked up some nice ones in Lidl the other day for £15

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Nabs
Hahahahaha great post @thesoupdragon

nikiandemma
7: Helper
7: Helper

For me it's the most ridiculous thing they have ever done. Changing from 30 pin to Lightning was just about bearable but this is going to catch a lot of people out.

I prefer to be on charge whilst listening to Internet radio at work, on battery hungry 3G. I think therefore I shall be investing in the Lightning dock which has a 3.5mm output for my headphones and I can charge at same time. Sorted!

Hi @nikiandemma

I do agree with your thoughts on this. 

As I've said I'm not keen on having to carry around any form of adapter to be able to use my wired headset. Which are useful as a back up if my Bluetooth set stop because the battery has depleted.

I think I'll just start using my iPod Nano 3rd Gen whilst commuting to work instead.  

Current Phone  >