Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Backup > Restore - Iphone 6 64gb to Iphone 7 32gb

mattduncan
4: Newbie

As the title suggests i am going from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7, with a lower memory. The Iphone6 was pretty much used to the max in storage. Never use iCloud, never full under stood it, or trusted it, plus i would have to pay for more storage as you only get 5gb as standard.

Issue i have got is I've done a back up of iPhone 6....trying to restore onto my new iphone so messages/imessages are sent across etc. But it clearly doesn't like this (doing it through MacBook etc)

All really want sending across from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 is the contacts and message threads....

Things in WhatsApp are fine, should be when i reload onto new phone

Important pictures i will just email and save to new phone

Apps, i can re-download no problem.

One thing i thought of was deleting all the pictures/videos/4gb music and spotify app and that would reduce the 'storage used' by a considerable amount, back up 6, restore on to 7 and that may work?

HELP...

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Typically if your usage needs are outweighing your current iPhone storage capacity I wouldn't recommend to go lower with your new iPhone.

You can't expand the iPhones inbuilt storage capacity so a person is stuck with what they've chosen. 

There are Plug in gadgets for extra storage but that means needing to carry it around. 

I use icloud with no issues but my storage needs are not large so 5gb is ample. 

I used to buy 16gb iPhones which at first was enough. 

I now use the s7 edge with a Sd card. 

I also use DropBox to store information (there are other options) and gmail for contacts. 

You can select in Settings >  iCloud what you want to back up and then in your new phone when setting it up elect to use your iCloud back up.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

mattduncan
Not out-weighing them as such. Just got lazy. Always back up my phone manually (pics and vids) moved to a separate folder and then just a normal plugged in back up through iTunes. Used to delete videos as main storage drain and very rarely have music saved. Been 2years and upgraded (which you answered yday -thanks) but went from a 68gb to 32gb as a more cost eff give deal. Only needed the contacts and message threads moving and would have downloaded apps again individually.
Ended up wiping the iPhone 6 of pics/vids/music apps etc and that brought down to a lower size back up and managed to restore the 7 to include the message threads and some of the apps and just started deleting what was brought over that didn't need. Will do a fresh plug in back up AND iCloud back up of the newly uploaded 7 so can always come back to that as a starting point

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

I just got tired of micro managing my iPhone 6 Plus 16gb model. 

Similar to you the cost to move up tiers of onboard storage can be costly. 

Apple in my opinion won't introduce Sd Card slots because they want iOS to be sandboxed with little security threats. 

The 'other' yellow bar will creep up so keep an eye on that. Link > Other. Usually a Restore help with that. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

mattduncan
I agree but every year I would end up increasing the GB of my phone ha.... partly what I feel apple want you to do. Other or Documents and Data.... useless fluff