Solution

SIM not activating tried 5 times 2 different sims

Ashton
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

i have just got an IPhone 7 from Vodafone direct

i had to get SIM from shop as not sent with phone! Great

shop installed last Wednesday. Have since spent 5 hours in store/phone and chat reset registration SIM 3 times and still doesn't work

told to return to store and get new SIM. Manager installed. Still not working. Called to back phone,They now say SIM not registered correctly by store. 

This is unbelievable.

surely the manager knows how to register a SIM, and why did the previous SIM not work

surely it is a faulty phone

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Can you try an alternative phone ?

Live Chat should be able to help you. 

When a sim swap is performed it has to be done to a Blank Sim Card. It usually takes minutes to complete but can take 24 hours to complete occasionally. 

Turning the phone Off and On or Airplane Mode On and Off helps. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I have spent over 5 hours with CS including 3 x 1. Hour chats

eventuslly CS decided I had a faulty sim. This has now been changed and it still doesn't work. They are now blaming manager of store for not registering correctly

i will return to store, but I would hope the manager knows how to register a SIM 

BandOfBrothers

So would I ?

I've heard of delays because a person has decided to open up a contract or upgrade with an independent. 

I appreciate you've gone Direct with Vodafone. 

This to me sounds Account based. 

Please would you let us know how you get on. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Ashton

If this is an upgrade and you need the number transferred to a new SIM, the store should have no problems doing a SIM swap to a replacement SIM.

If this is a new contract, the SIM should arrive separate from the phone. I must say it's surprising Vodafone have sent the phone minus the SIM. 

With you need a SIM with the number registered against your account. If the store are just trying to register a SIM, this could be the reason for the activation issues.

The best way to get this sorted is to use Live Chat, though understandably, you have been down this route.  If you have your account number or order number, they will be able to find out what has happened to the SIM which should have been sent with the phone.

If you continue to have issues, please post back on the forum and one of the Team here will be able to help get your service online.

Live chat have been as much use as a chocolate teapot.

this is an upgrade

livechat have sent me links to register the SIM on 3 occasions. They do not work

i spoke with customer services just now who sail livechat have given me wrong information, as they would never be able to activate a shop supplied SIM. I said it was ridiculous that livechat could get this so wrong, and she apologised.

fundamentally shop/livechat/telephone CS are all blaming each other for incorrect information

CS are now sending me another SIM card in post which I can activate and they assure me that will work. Won't get that till Tuesday. In meantime I am being told by store there is a backlog and the SIM installed will spring into action. Telephone CS say that simply is not possible

The late great Jim Henson comes to mind!

Customer service are also blaming shop manager for not setting up correctly. I was told the only way to get SIM working was to back to shop and have him follow notes on file. The manager very arrogantly (quite difficult to accept arrogance from a man wearing a reindeer nose xmas jumper)made the point he knows how to activate a SIM, and checked the notes and said he had done this correctly.

BandOfBrothers

Caught between a rock and a hard place comes to mind. 

Hope the forthcoming SIM card resolves this for you. 

May I ask.... Is the originsl SIM card still working ?

Are you having to change SIM cards because of the new model of phone ?

Current Phone  >

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Ashton Sorry to hear about your experience. 

If you're still having issues after receiving your new SIM, kindly let us know and we'll investigate further from our end. 

When I called to send the phone back, i was told a shop SIM will never work in this phone and I need a SIM from Vodafone direct!

A total of 8 employees of Vodafone were not aware of this. The manager of local voda shop was so incredibly arrogant saying I just had to wait a few days the SIM will activate as there was a backlog.  It did not!

i eventually received a SIM from Vodafone in Post and it activated within 30 minutes. Pity I wasted 7 hours of my time getting there

Vodafone continue to provide the worse customer service in U.K.