Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

The saga to upgrade to a iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Black

angeloedades
4: Newbie

Hi Guys,

Just looking to vent really - comments welcome on how I could have handled it better!

Tried to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Black model. First port of call was via online ugprade and it lets me choose my new phone and bundle. Entered my post code for same day pick up and can see the 2nd store closest to me had stock - great! Went through secure check out and it errors out when I confirm my name and contact number. Contacted a live agent, twitter support and 191 and told me there was no problems and it must have been my computer or my account. Since I am a technical person, I asked if there was a team who was willing to work me through the issue to find out the root cause - of course it was not possible.

Live chat agent at this stage told me to go in store the following day since there is stock (based on the check out page - saying it is available for pick up in 30 minutes). 9:30am I was outside the peckham rye store. Myself and two other people stood here for around 40 minutes whilst the three staff members had a chat or a meeting or some sort... approx 10:15, doors were opened. Lady grabed my details, asked me security questions and what I wanted to upgrade to. Went to stock room, manager comes out saying there nothing in stock, only demo iPhones have arrived. Explained that the secure check out page told me there was stock here that can be sold. Shurgged shoulders and a few seconds worth of awkward silence and I left.

Tried to place order via live chat agent around midday on OCT 1 and made sure that it was possible to have it by Monday, told me it was certainly possible - so placed the order with the phone and bundle. I had my doubts as I have had no correspondence from DPD as of 21:04 OCT 2. Called 191, agent told me, I am definitely not going to get my phone tomorrow. So I said I want to cancel the order and she said not possible. The guy on live chat who helped me on OCT 1 said someone tried to change my address on my account in the past 7 days and that is probably why I was barred from making an order or why the address bit of the secure check out page was not working. Whilst I was speaking to 191, I queried her about this but there was nothing suspicious or blocked in my account apart from the order activity on OCT 1.

Tried to approach the twitter team on some aspects of this dilemma but nothing. They are probably limited on what they can do (like most social media teams for companies) but I was hoping they would have replied on a couple of things saying to contact a specific team or tell me its a dead end.

I just want my new phone on a new bundle! Not able to accept the delivery on Tuesday so I am expecting a host of delays because of that.

What would you guys do?

35 REPLIES 35

Raj747
6: Helper
@angeloedades
I think the lady is telling the truth. So will you be placing the order again ? If so then you need to hurry up as it will be first some first serve basis.
Good luck!

So the handset was returned to the VF warehouse on Thursday but the guys were not able to confirm it until Friday.

Tried to upgrade on Friday but was told I can do it on Saturday. Anyway there was 1 stock still showing on the Peckham Rye store so I went there on Friday evening and they did have the model I want but it was showing as sold on the "JACK" system but showing as available to purchase on the website. 

A few 30-45 minutes, deputy manager told me I was not able to buy it.

I went on to live chat and there is no more stock nationwide now.

If only the idiot sales guy last saturday placed the order correctly, I wouldn;t have had such a palava!

Raj747
That's unfortunate! God, the jet blacks still are 4-6 week back order!
Apparently the jet black outer case production rate is only 60% meaning for every 100 produced 40 are faulty.

Very unfortuante.

CPWH has some stocks but they cannot process my VF account for some reason. So I am back to waiting for VF.

Does anyone know - £10 I paid for getting the delviery between a certain time to DPD- I should be able to claim it back right? DPD said yes and to contact VF but I am finding out the hard way that whatever VF says does not necessarily mean it is true.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

@Raj747 wrote:
That's unfortunate! God, the jet blacks still are 4-6 week back order!
Apparently the jet black outer case production rate is only 60% meaning for every 100 produced 40 are faulty.

That is quite possible as black is the most difficult finish to get flawless.

My son is production manager for a high end hi-fi speaker manufacturer where all paint finishes are hand finished. Black has the highest rejection rate of all colours and they estimate that about 55% of black have to be stripped and repainted before passing QC,

Raj747

There you go ! !now we have a concrete proof ! Let's blame apple for launching the jet blacks on the first place ! Lol! 

To be honest Matt black is a lovely colour too. See that in person and I assure you that you will fall in love straight away ! 

Yeah I absolutely like the Matte black. Not really a fan of any high-gloss finish.

Maybe it is time I should start looking at alternatives while the stock replenishes :Socked_Face:

kids

@angeloedades My nephew got the Jet Black for his birthday and regretted it, fingerprints forever needed cleaning. 

Fortunately our local Apple Store swopped it for the Matt Black, probably only because they had a high demand for the gloss finish at the time and had a few of the Matt Black in stock.

The Matt Black is a superb looking finish and if I were planning to change phones I would be very tempted to go for that colour.

Jet black is prone to scratches even in a case. Micro dust that gets trapped in the case is enough for tiny scratches , un less you use scratch protector liquids such as the ones from nano state which is 29.99£ . So suffice to say I changed from jet to Matt