Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking Vodaphone Account

Laurakate
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have been trying to unlock my phone from the Vodaphone network and make it open to other providers and I am having a nightmare time of it.

I originally applied online at www.vodaphone.co.uk/nuc which when completed said the unlocking would happen up to ten days later. I waited and this never happened. After ten days I contacted vodaphone and was told on to seperate occassions that I had to complete the online form and so I completed it again (and again). Still nothing happened.

Fast forward 11 phonecalls to vodaphone in which I was given mutliple advice. The most recent was to contact Carphone Warehouse as they had not registered my IMEI number and as such Vodaphone could not unlock the phone as they had to send the IMEI number to Apple.

I contacted Carphone Warehouse who (quite rudely) told me this was incorrect and that it was always the service provider and all Carphone Warehouse did was sell the phone.

Back to Vodaphone who told me I was misinformed by Carphone Warehouse....back to Carphone Warehouse who, thats right...told me I was misinformed. 

I am now at a complete loss at what to do. I have provided Vodaphone (5+ times) with the IMEI number and to no avail. I have spoken to the manager at Carphone Warehouse who has reiterated the statement that they can not unlock the device. 

Vodaphone point blank refuses to let me speak to someone in more authority who isn't simply reading from a script.

What do I do now? They only logical step I see is to contact legal advice or take it to the Judge in the newspapers!!

Any help would be most welcome!!!

30 REPLIES 30

forumfairy
13: Advanced Member

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such issues with your unlock, sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

CPW are correct in that they would not unlock the handset however all they require to do is send an email to Vodafone confirming the details of the purchase with the IMEI. This allows Vodafone to update your account with the IMEI and then when the NUC request is placed against it they can apply to Apple to have the phone unlocked.

Unfortunately, a Vodafone manager wouldn't be able to resolve the issue for you in any different manner as they also can't add an IMEI to an account, possibly why the agents have been unable to escalate for you in this manner. The IMEI needs to come from a verified source, such as direct from CPW, in order for them to avoid any kind of fraud on an account. I have heard of instances where people have tried to unlock a number of IMEI numbers fraudulently through one account so they do have to be careful with this.

Please see further details below:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-services/Unlocking-your-phone-NUC/td-p/2421880

"We’re only able to request handset unlocks for phones that have been sold by Vodafone UK or if we've received the new IMEI details from the third party."

I hope this is resolved soon for you. 🙂

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

Carfone Warehouse cannot unlock it for you unfortunately. 

Apple would see its locked to Vodafone so would only deal with them. 

Vodafone can supply a specific email address for you to email the Vodafone nuc resolutions unlocking team. Customer service via 191 and or Live Chat can supply this. 

Vodafone will typically send you an email confirming the unlock have been requested. They then contact Apple to request the actual Unlock itself.  

The iPhone is not typically unlocked at this stage. 

It can then take Apple another 20'ish days approximately to complete the actual unlock. 

Pop in an active non Vodafone sim card in this timeframe periodically and hook up to iTunes to complete the unlocking. To note > From the iPhone 5 onwards it's not always necessary to hook up to iTunes to complete the unlocking. An iPhone is not unlocked by an actual code you key in. You should see some form of pop up message confirming it's unlocked if hooked up to iTunes. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

To add one workaround is to pick up a payg Vodafone sim card and use it in iPhone to make calls,send texts and use data for 30 days and then request the unlock using the new payg details. 

A long winded way I submit. 

Current Phone  >

kyzersoze911
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I am having very similar problems where I can't unlock my phone whereas I have been using my phone with a vodafone pay monthly sim for 5 months and also paid all bills on time too.

Was your issue eventually sorted out?

I am travelling abroad for a month and a half in 2 days and really need my phone unlocked but I am getting no joy from vodafone at all.

Can someone please help???

@kyzersoze911 wrote:

Hi,

I am having very similar problems where I can't unlock my phone whereas I have been using my phone with a vodafone pay monthly sim for 5 months and also paid all bills on time too.

Was your issue eventually sorted out?

I am travelling abroad for a month and a half in 2 days and really need my phone unlocked but I am getting no joy from vodafone at all.

Can someone please help???

@kyzersoze911

May I refer you to my reply in your own created thread. 

iPhone-7-and-iPhone-7-Plus/Unlocking-Vodafone-Iphone-7.

Current Phone  >

Hi,

I received an iPhone 7 as a gift from someone who had bought it locked to Vodafone network.

I am the only one who used the phone since the start and only used my pay monthly vodafone sim for 5 months or so and also paid all bills on time. I have filled in the NUC form numerous times as well as emailed the NUC team a few times too. I have also spoken and argued with numerous different customer service and tech team advisers but all I have promised it will be unlocked soon but no luck.

I am travelling abroad for a month and a half in 2 days and want to use my phone abroad on a local sim.

I am really desperate now and even tried paying a third party company £20 to unlock but even they can't do it. My friend who received his phone from a friend as a gift had his phone unlocked from a third party pretty easily.

I really don't know what to do and really need my phone unlocked before the 16th evening as I am travelling then.

Please can someone assist me with this?

Hi @kyzersoze911

If you've filled out the form and it's been accepted and not bounced back to you then Vodafone have agreed to arrange its unlocking. 

Typically Vodafone send you an email to confirm too. Check Spam boxes. 

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.

Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your unlock request. 

Apple then can take control and can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days to complete an unlock request made by a Network.

Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes. You should see a pop up message when it's successfully unlocked. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

To add unlocking an iPhone via not engaging the Network and Apple isn't available for the newer iPhones due to the 'a' chip inside. Most shops / market stall holders simply don't have the software. I would strongly advise against engaging an online unlocking website. These can carry their own issues such as a failed unlock and difficulty in obtaining a refund. 

Tip > Any modern JailBreaking of an iPhone if available for its current iOS will not lead to unlocking it to all Networks. 

Current Phone  >

Hi,<br>Thanks for replying but everytime I have filled the form in it does bounce back and says this sim isn't registered to this imei number.<br>Every Vodafone adviser I have spoken to has given me different answers regarding this matter.<br><br>This is the reply I get:<br><br>"Thank you for getting in touch about unlocking your phone. We checked the details you gave us, but could not find a match for the IMEI number (the number ) on your account.<br><br>We can only unlock a phone that we know belongs to you. This means you need to have used a Vodafone SIM in it. You need to give us details of this SIM when you fill in our NUC form.<br><br>What you need to do next<br><br>Double check the details you gave us when you filled in the form - the IMEI number you gave us was (the number).<br><br>Check this against your phone's IMEI by tapping in *#06# - you will then see it displayed on the screen. If the numbers don't match, you need to fill in our online form again.<br><br>Thank You,<br><br>Vodafone Customer Services Team"<br><br>Also when emailing the NUC team directly they ask me to use a PAYG sim for 30 days whereas I have been using my sim only deal from Vodafone in this phone for 5 months now.<br>When I told them this they replied with:<br><br>"Thank you for getting in touch about unlocking your phone. To do this, you need a network unlock code (NUC) from us.<br>How long does it take to get a NUC?<br>If we already have your NUC on our systems, we’ll aim to get it to you within 2 working days. If we don’t, it can take up to 10 working days for us to get it from your phone’s manufacturer.<br>What happens next?<br>As soon as your NUC is ready, we’ll email it to the address you gave us – along with instructions on what to do next.<br>Thank you<br>Vodafone Customer Services team"<br><br>Now I'm not sure where I stand and when the phone will be unlocked and as I'm travelling tomorrow I'm panicking.<br>I can't understand why it's so hard to speak to someone from the NUC Team so I can explain everything properly and they can explain their side clearly too.<br><br>Im totally lost and not sure what to do.<br>My friends phone was unlocked easily from a third party but not mine and they didn't charge me.<br>As for jailbreak I wouldn't do that as that would voice my warranty from Apple I believe.<br>I'm in distress because of this.<br>Any advice or help would be appreciated.<br><br><br>

Hi

Do you know if the person who originally had the iPhone obtained it through an independent. We hear that some independents don't properly update the network on the imei details etc. 

The official stance from Vodafone on obtaining a second hand phone is....

"Does the phone need to have been used on Vodafone UK?

Yes, even if you've bought your phone secondhand. For Pay as you go, you'll need to have been using your PAYG SIM in the phone for 30 days. For Pay monthly you'll need to have paid three bills on time."

From > http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-services/Unlocking-your-phone-NUC/td-p/2421880

Current Phone  >