Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 7 Fire

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Could this be part of a larger problem for all phone/battery manufacturers or just a one off?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/21/iphone-7-car-fire-australia-exploding-battery-sam...

Edit. Is leaving a phone in a car in a very hot country a good idea?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers

Hi @63johnw

My thoughts are it was possibly left turned on, wrapped up in clothing in a car that can soon heat up especially in that country. I can't see anywhere if it was in a phone case..

Usually a warning pops up on the iPhone to alert the owner if temperatures cause issues. 

The report i read read said that the temperatures in that country can actually melt the plastic parts inside the car too !

Edit

From  > iPhone-7-catches-fire-Australia.

"Temperatures in Australia can run so high that the sun can melt the plastic interior components of cars. As Jones left the phone in his car, it’s entirely possible that the device became so hot that the heat caused the battery to burst into flames."

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw
I was wondering how much does that play a part in this case, not that we ever get that sort of temperature where I live ! but I wouldn't leave a device in a car when temps can reach those sort of levels, just in case.

BandOfBrothers

We have couriers where I work where they dashboard mount their iPhones to act as SatNavs and for hansdfree etc. 

On the very rare warm sunny days we get here in Blighty I've seen the temperature warning on their iPhones. 

Like the one in this Apple Help and Support Page. 

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Stwerty
4: Newbie
Yeah keeping any phone in an environment like that where the temperature will skyrocket is a very, very bad idea. There's a reason these safety warnings exist, it's not just for the sake of using a piece of paper. I've seen the warning on my iPhone screen and on other devices on a hot summer day in the UK when I've over used them. So if that can happen here, you can imagine what it's like in a country where the sun can melt plastic.

In fact keeping any device with a battery in a car under those conditions is just foolhardy and simply asking for trouble. People should use their common sense and be a bit more responsible.

oldmouche
4: Newbie
My son lives in Cyprus. He left a UK credit card on the dashboard and it melted - Cypriot cards are thicker so that they don't melt. When the temperature in the shade goes over 50°c I shudder to think what the temperature is inside a car.