Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 7 plus jet black

blue68
4: Newbie
I pre ordered my iPhone on the 9/9/16 and was given a date of the 23/9 to pick up from local store they are taking £160 for phone which has gone on my next bill due 28/9 now told it might not be available till 2/11 but I've still paid for it and was one of the first to order on the 9/9
24 REPLIES 24

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

If the upfront fee does appear on your bill then if this was my situation I'd certainly challenge that as I find it reasonable not to have to pay for hardware until it's despatched. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jfsebastien
4: Newbie

I'm in the same position - I was advised you can do a promise to pay and then it will go on the next bill...

However I think the point still stands - we should not pay until it is dispatched. Vodafone are shocking at things like this...

The charge for my handset was added to my next bill which is due to be taken any day by DD. 

Strangely, the charge has been added to my existing contract and there's no mention about my updrage online. I would have thought the charge should be applied to the new contract for audit purposes. That said, if it helps me get the handset delivered quicker, then I'm reasonably content. 

There is still the concern that Voda take payment for the handset before it is delivered with no confirmed date of delivery. I am used to paying for goods before they are shipped and delivered but something about this process doesn't sit well with me. 

@Shakini wrote:

There is still the concern that Voda take payment for the handset before it is delivered with no confirmed date of delivery. I am used to paying for goods before they are shipped and delivered but something about this process doesn't sit well with me. 

Yes, that is a concern. It borders on the illegal. And when I say 'borders on' I mean it could well fall on the far side of that line, depending on Vodafone's awareness of stock and delivery restrictions at key points. Taking payment for something that gets delayed is not good at all, but taking payment for something that they already know they can't deliver as promised? Uh-uh.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@jfsebastien wrote:

However I think the point still stands - we should not pay until it is dispatched. Vodafone are shocking at things like this...

It is nothing unusual really, I but stuff from Amazon and other online retailers and in 90% of those the seller always takes the money when the order is placed.

In many cases (especially Amazon) the delivery estimates can be wildly inaccurate, recently an item that had an estimated 7-21 days delivery took 2 months but I left the order open as I wanted that particular item that was not available elsewhere.

Amazon will never take the money until the item is shipped.. That's always been their policy - I have an amazon echo on pre order and have done for over a week - no charge yet.

@cara_b I spoke to an online agent who said that a promise to pay was the only solution - are you telling me otherwise?

Hi @jfsebastien

The reason Cara asked if you had spoken to the team about this is because a Promise to Pay is only available on an account in arrears.

Give them a call on 191 to discuss your account and let us know how you get on.

Regards, 

Meg-B

@Meg-B wait... are you telling me... I was misinformed?

I have a transcript of the chat as well. And I asked the agent to confirm.

Is anyone paying attention to all these issues? If, for example, I phone up in 3 months time would you be able to tell me how you've addressed the problem? Or do you think that in 12 months time you'll be in exactly the same position as you are now? I phoned up Ladbrokes. They wouldn't take my bet on the 12 months option. Said it's too much of a sure thing..