Ask

Solution

iPhone jet black scratches

Raj747
6: Helper
Apparently the jet black variant is highly susceptible to scratches

https://youtu.be/zuRT6S47kRk

I would switch to Matt blacks once they are in stock.
14 REPLIES 14

Stwerty
4: Newbie
I had initially ordered a Matte Black because I didn't want the scratching issues. However after many reports on another forum of how much easier it is to hold the Jet Black, it piqued my curiosity.

I've got severe nerve damage and haven't been able to hold an iPhone without a case since the 6 Plus. So one day, when I noticed my local Apple Store had stock, along I went. I was an instant convert. The Jet Black is easily the best iPhone they've made in years. I opted for the 7 Plus and aside from being a stunningly good looking phone compared to the Matte Black (personal opinion of course) it really is light years ahead in usability, this phone is really grippy.

I've been using mine caseless and with no protection. It's been dropped quite a few times onto different surfaces and once into the toilet, thank god it was clean water :Laughing_Face: but that's nerve damage for you. Anyway, it's a lot more resilient than you'd think. So far I have one small micro scratch that you can only see under really strong light when you hunt for it.

Apple are covering their rear ends with the disclaimer about scratching, it's obviously every bit as resilient as any of the other finishes, it's just that if you do scratch it badly it's going to be easier to see.

I love the iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black, imho it's easily the best iPhone ever made. Though I will say that after initially dismissing the idea, I did end up going for the iPhone Upgrade Program. That way I can enjoy this beauty caseless for the next year without bothering about keeping it pristine for the sake of resale value. I'll just hand it over next year and pick up the iPhone 8. Happy chap :Smiling:

Stwerty
Yeah they don't care about the cosmetic condition of the phone when you go to get the next one. All that matters is that it's not broken or deformed, that it still functions and that the screen is not cracked. They're actually pretty good about it, you should see the state of some of the phones that the Americans have turned in this year to get their upgrades.

Raj747
@stewart
That is a very tempting proposition!

Stwerty
@Raj747
Indeed, when I ran the numbers (I normally just buy my iPhones outright from Apple) the cost of ownership between the relentless buying and selling and just paying Apple every month actually turned out much the same.

And when you factor in that you needn't worry so much about the device (AppleCare Plus is included so most repairs are free and there's two instances of full replacement for accidental damage with only a £55 excess which isn't bad for a brand new phone) you don't have to keep it looking good to keep your resale value up. You don't have the hassle you sometimes get if you sell on eBay and are unfortunate enough to get "one of those buyers". All in all it just seemed like a good way to get the latest phone every year and actually just use and enjoy it to its full potential.

It might sound silly, but having the phone out of a case is great. You really appreciate the design of it so much more. It always feels slightly chunky in even a thin case. Skins make the edges look horrible after a while and you feel the edges with your thumb. Compared to whipping it out fully nakit (the phone :D) there's just no competition. This is how it was supposed to be.

Raj747
Very well said. I will definitely go for it from next year.
Thanks for letting me know these details mate !
Good luck!