Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G calling - third party device

jimmybond007
4: Newbie

Hi - other than iPhones, do you still need to purchase android phones from Vodafone in order for it to work?

Also, I was told by 'advanced technical support' yesterday that 4G and 4G calling were 2 different things and that whilst you might be in a 4G coverage area, you might not be in a 4G calling coverage area.  That sounds nonsense to me, especially as all the operators say there 4G/4G calling coverage are one and the same.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

hrym
17: Community Champion

4G is a data-only network, but there is a protocol known as VoLTE (Voice over LTE  - another terms for 4G) which works in a broadly similar way to wifi calling.   I believe you need a compatible handset and tariff to be able to use it.   I also believe there's a list of handsets, but it may not be completely up to date.  If you could say what you have in mind, someone from the forum team should be able to confirm compatibility.

Thanks.  Yes I'm aware of VoLTE.  What I am trying to understand is does 4G data coverage immediately assume 4G calling (mVolTE) coverage.

hrym

As VoLTE works over the 4G data network, I'd assume that you can use it whenever a 4G signal is available.   One of the reason it was introduced is that, being on a lower frequency, 4G has better range that 2 or 3G - in some places, it can be the only signal available.

I wish Vodafone 'technical' new what they were talking about.  I have specifically been told by their 'advanced support' that 4G coverage doesnt necessarily mean 4G calling. An to further confuse things, I'm in a 4G area yet when I make a call it says HD Voice on my handset which is an advanced 3G call.  Sigh....