Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

APN Settings

b0yce
13: Advanced Member

I just wanted to clarify what the correct stance on APN settings are and whether what I have assumed is correct.

When I first started up the phone, I installed the Vodafone App as asked when going through the installation procedure and this set-up the Contract APN settings for me automatically. It does give you a choice of Contract or PAYG.

The APN Settings (Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names) are;

Name: Contract WAP

APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: wap

Password: wap (presumption)

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS proxy: 212.183.137.012

MMS Port: 8799

MCC: 234

MNC: 15

Authentication type: PAP

APN type: default,mms,supl,dun

APN protocol: IPv4 (unchangeable)

Enable/disable APN: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

I never set-up another APN for Data connectivity and everything worked as expected. That is until I got into work the next day (after initial set-up), my signal was good as always but I was not getting much in the way of Data access like I was used to. I checked the Network forum and nothing was raised there, so then thought to check my APN settings (above).

From memory and previous experience with APNs - I have used Data connectivity with Vodafone going back quite a few years - I remembered about another APN that is recommended to use for Internet usage.

You can see the settings from this Support page (or go via Samsung Galaxy SIII Support Page -> Basics Tab -> Browse the web on my phone section -> "Setup your phone for internet" question for the nice graphic version!)

These settings are as follows;

Name: Vodafone internet

APN: internet

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: web

Password: web

Server: Not set

MMSC: Not set

MMS proxy: Not set

MMS Port: Not set

MCC: 234

MNC: 15

Authentication type: None

APN type: default

APN protocol: IPv4 (unchangeable)

Enable/disable APN: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

Now using selecting this APN (using the right-hand green option) did seem to offer a better internet connection here at work.

Now my questions for you all. :smileywink:

1) Will the Vodafone App be able to pull-down my Account Settings, Remaining minutes, Data Usage etc... using the 2nd APN when it is selected? I have some niggling feeling that it needs to use Contract WAP, but that could be just me!

2) By my reckoning, the APN Type parameter is quite important and since they both contain default wouldn't this mean that only the actively selected APN be used for all types of Data usage/retrieval?

Basically I am wondering if we should have both APN's set-up and for the 'Contract WAP' to remove the default keyword from APN type so that Vodafone App (if it needs this APN), MMS messaging and anything else that requires it will work with this, and for everything else the Internet APN will be used i.e. for Internet traffic?

3) Which APN is considered better than the other, if we are to only use the one?

4) Is the data monitored differently between the 2 APNs or total for all data connectivity, if indeed the Samsung Galaxy S3 will switch between the 2 if they are individually configured correctly?

I am sure there are other questions, but for now this should be enough to get some clarity/opinions from others on what should be the de facto set-up for us who are on a vodafone contract. Apologies to those PAYG customers, though I am sure there may be some benefit to the knowledge gleamed from here also.

26 REPLIES 26

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi, cant answer all your questions, think you need NDJ or Soup for most of them.

There was aproblem a few days back where NDJ gave out the second set of APN til a problem with the first one was ironed out.

In that he said that you would not be charged when using the second APN, still come sout of your data allowance.

b0yce

Just a link to another Internet APN v WAP APN from the Desire Series forum - http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC-Desire-Series/APN-Internet-or-APN-Wap/m-p/658407#M13353

So both seem valid, though would appreciate the favourability of which to use as selected and whether it is still the case that we need to use both. Is it still classed as Vodafone Live! any more???

Of course, if both, do we need to adjust to make them work correctly in tandem?

Just for info, when getting a new phone I just install everything that is offered and play with it fully for a week or two to get used to the kind of configuration that I will end up with. After that I will factory reset/upgrade ROM and then install things manually. So I just want to be on the right foot from the start when I do this - as I may or may not install the Vodafone App.

Cheers,

b0yce

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi b0yce,

To get the correct MMS and Internet settings in place on the handset, please take a look at our internet settings page.

Just to clarify, the two APNs can be in place simultaneously without issue. Most services now use the Internet option, but some apps and services may still make use of the older WAP APN.

The My Vodafone app should run successfully with the settings in place, but it may not show your allowances until your allowances refresh with your regular billing cycle due to any pro-rata period.

Dave

StephenGhent
1: Seeker

Absolute Legand I got a replica s4 fro, china for the life of me could not get  mobile data and this caused a lot of functioning problems on the device. I used the setitings you provided and it worked facebook loaded with out using wifi and not apps will run without shutting them selfs down so thank you very much for your wise knowledge.

b0yce

Glad it's all still relevant :smileyhappy:

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

Vodafone don't like people going down that route 

On the Original galaxy S they openly did instructions on how to do this 

Now they have left this off 

But wap causes more problems then it should and it should be left just to handle MMS and Sms as it was originaly set up to do (Wireless Application Protoco)

You may also find you get a Better Data connection 

hrym

Quick answer to one question.  I manually set up an Internet APN on my S2 and My Vodafone worked perfectly.  I now have a different handset and haven't got round to that - using Contract WAP and I can't say I've noticed any difference in performance.

TBH, I've no idea what the differences are, whether there's any advantage to one over the other and why the two are available anyway.

Northern-dj

Ok sorry i have not got back to you bee ill :smileyfrustrated:

Wow what alot to go through 

1) Will the Vodafone App be able to pull-down my Account Settings, Remaining minutes, Data Usage etc... using the 2nd APN when it is selected? I have some niggling feeling that it needs to use Contract WAP, but that could be just me!

In a word Yes both end up at a Vodafone Server just the Internet bypasses the wap server 

2) By my reckoning, the APN Type parameter is quite important and since they both contain default wouldn't this mean that only the actively selected APN be used for all types of Data usage/retrieval?

Yes and no if you have a green dot on the Internet it will go there first to gain a connection and use that as Default no if that gets no connection it will look at another so it pays to leave the wap one on.

Now a App can be set to look for a Apn as far as i no Vodafone Apps only Use a wap connection the phone does all the work 

a APN is not the connection but uses the connection to get to a Server at Vodafones end 

Basically I am wondering if we should have both APN's set-up and for the 'Contract WAP' to remove the default keyword from APN type so that Vodafone App (if it needs this APN), MMS messaging and anything else that requires it will work with this, and for everything else the Internet APN will be used i.e. for Internet traffic?

Yes you need both as SMS and MMS are channeled Via the wap and those apps are set up to look for a wap connection now the stock brouser will use what ever you pic eg green dot Now other brousers can be set up to use other conections 

But it all ends up back at Vodafone or Via Vodafone 

3) Which APN is considered better than the other, if we are to only use the one?

Well in a sence there both the same just differant servers both end up at Vodafone 

Just that wap has more security 

4) Is the data monitored differently between the 2 APNs or total for all data connectivity, if indeed the Samsung Galaxy S3 will switch between the 2 if they are individually configured correctly?

No that is done back at Vodafone Both Apn's end up at the same place 

as i expland above it uses the one with the green dot unless a app is set up to use a differant connetion 

I use the Internet to talk to my nas drive as Wap blocks this 

Now by default Vodafones wap service Blocks this so people could not setup there emails :catsurprised: 

now this effects there Buisness section but can effect Your own personal emails with your ISP 

and no mater what settings are sent wap blocks this !!!!

Now to Q2 if i have not covered it !!

here is what happens it will try and use the first Apn First and treat that as Priority so if you put a Green dot in the Internet one it will try that first and use that as its primary but if that does not get conected it then looks for any other>

now if you then need to set up any others after the internet or need to use the internet one as a tunnel you have to be put after the internet one.

Now i would leave the wap one on as the internet can some times drop so the phone will then look for which ever one works 

hrym

> Well in a sence there both the same just differant servers both end up at Vodafone 

Just that wap has more security

Thanks for explaining that, ndj. :smileyhappy: