Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

APN Settings

b0yce
13: Advanced Member

I just wanted to clarify what the correct stance on APN settings are and whether what I have assumed is correct.

When I first started up the phone, I installed the Vodafone App as asked when going through the installation procedure and this set-up the Contract APN settings for me automatically. It does give you a choice of Contract or PAYG.

The APN Settings (Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names) are;

Name: Contract WAP

APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: wap

Password: wap (presumption)

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS proxy: 212.183.137.012

MMS Port: 8799

MCC: 234

MNC: 15

Authentication type: PAP

APN type: default,mms,supl,dun

APN protocol: IPv4 (unchangeable)

Enable/disable APN: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

I never set-up another APN for Data connectivity and everything worked as expected. That is until I got into work the next day (after initial set-up), my signal was good as always but I was not getting much in the way of Data access like I was used to. I checked the Network forum and nothing was raised there, so then thought to check my APN settings (above).

From memory and previous experience with APNs - I have used Data connectivity with Vodafone going back quite a few years - I remembered about another APN that is recommended to use for Internet usage.

You can see the settings from this Support page (or go via Samsung Galaxy SIII Support Page -> Basics Tab -> Browse the web on my phone section -> "Setup your phone for internet" question for the nice graphic version!)

These settings are as follows;

Name: Vodafone internet

APN: internet

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: web

Password: web

Server: Not set

MMSC: Not set

MMS proxy: Not set

MMS Port: Not set

MCC: 234

MNC: 15

Authentication type: None

APN type: default

APN protocol: IPv4 (unchangeable)

Enable/disable APN: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

Now using selecting this APN (using the right-hand green option) did seem to offer a better internet connection here at work.

Now my questions for you all. :smileywink:

1) Will the Vodafone App be able to pull-down my Account Settings, Remaining minutes, Data Usage etc... using the 2nd APN when it is selected? I have some niggling feeling that it needs to use Contract WAP, but that could be just me!

2) By my reckoning, the APN Type parameter is quite important and since they both contain default wouldn't this mean that only the actively selected APN be used for all types of Data usage/retrieval?

Basically I am wondering if we should have both APN's set-up and for the 'Contract WAP' to remove the default keyword from APN type so that Vodafone App (if it needs this APN), MMS messaging and anything else that requires it will work with this, and for everything else the Internet APN will be used i.e. for Internet traffic?

3) Which APN is considered better than the other, if we are to only use the one?

4) Is the data monitored differently between the 2 APNs or total for all data connectivity, if indeed the Samsung Galaxy S3 will switch between the 2 if they are individually configured correctly?

I am sure there are other questions, but for now this should be enough to get some clarity/opinions from others on what should be the de facto set-up for us who are on a vodafone contract. Apologies to those PAYG customers, though I am sure there may be some benefit to the knowledge gleamed from here also.

26 REPLIES 26

CheriseMckenna
1: Seeker

i carnt get my internet to work on my cubot p9 but all the setting are correct but still no data on my phone i need the text message to set it up again i need help please

hrym
17: Community Champion

Drop into this board and have a look at the various Cubot threads there.  Some people have reported getting their devices to work.   From memory, I think setting Authenticaion to "none" may be the key (not sure about that).  Also have a look at the frequencies the device works on.   Vodafone are moving a lot of their 3G cells to 900mhz, but some Cubots have a habit of being 850 and will therefore never get 3G in some circumstances.

Retired-Laura
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @CheriseMckenna

Welcome to the eForum.

Text “Web” to 40127 and this’ll send you through a link with all of the internet settings, just select to save them.

Let us know if this helps. :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Laura

hrym

Be aware that recent devices often install the settings silently, so you may not see a response to that request.  It's also possible, on recent versions of Android, to pull the settings down proactivaly.   As I remember it, it's in Settings|Networks|Data|More - something like that, anyway.  The option does tend to go away if the phone thinks it has the correct settings, though.  If you do have the option, it also deletes any other settings that may be there and causing confusion.

Teeya
1: Seeker
I've been going crazy for the past week not finding a solution, when I thought I did. I typed in the APN details about 100 times and I wouldn't work. I tried everything , and I came across this. And it worked the first time round. Honestly I can't thank you enough.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Teeya

I'm glad the eForum was of help to you :).

We hope you stick around :).

Thanks,

Sukhi

Thanks to everyone for the useful information.

I have an issue setting up my mobile data on an Android Samsung Galaxy S7.

I have tried the following:
* Text Web to 4127 > Accept and install configs
* Setup APN settings manually using the above configs as well as recommended settings

Is there aything specific to the S7 that requires it to be configured differently?

My service provider has confimed that my data aservices are activated but I still have no joy getting mobile data to work.

Best regards,

helhindi

Hi, any idea if there is a way to stop the apn settings SMS coming through if you have a phone that is not able to use the internet ?

Hi @TheRealMattB

How often are you getting these messages?

Thanks,

Meg-B

several times a day.. is this normal??