Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android 8

Chippy_boy
4: Newbie

Not sure if this is the right forum (mods - feel free to move if not), but...

Any ideas when Android 8 will be rolling out OTA for Google Pixel and Nexus users?  I have a Pixel XL and was hoping to receive the new Android version soon?

Google released it yesterday obviously.

10 REPLIES 10

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @Chippy_boy Vodafone never comment on the release date of firmware, it's just a matter of keeping an eye on your phone.

BandOfBrothers

Keep checking your phones software update settings section. 

This is Vodafone response to firmware releases > Vodafone Firmware Statement.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Are Google phones Vodafone branded?  If not, then you should get the update at the same time as everyone else.   Otherwise, yes, there won't be an advance announcement.

Thanks folks

No, the Pixels are pure unmodified Android from Google, no Vodafone branding or addons.

Many people in the US have had the OTA update over there, but nothing here in the UK so far.  I am guessing it's in Vodafone's court right now.

I understand I will get the update at the same time as "everyone else" (notwithstanding the fact that some people have had it already) but just wondered when this might be?  Does this sort of thing normally take Vodafone hours to put out of the network?  Or days?  Or weeks?  Or months?

63johnw

If it's unbranded it should come direct from Google as far as I know, I didn't think Vodafone had a hand in it? With branded sets it can take months for the firmware to filter through.

BandOfBrothers

My s8 is unbranded so the Network has no direct control. 

I'm on 7.0 Nougat right now. 

The new Android o is in Beta so not at release level as far as I'm aware. 

Current Phone  >

Android 8 went GA yesterday.

I was thinking it would come from Vodafone since that's my network provider, but I guess perhaps not then?

If so, sorry for wasting everyone's time!

BandOfBrothers

Ah so it did. :Smiling:

Well Oreo came about then as the name!

I'll give https://www.android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/ a good read and my preference is to wait a week or so to read up on what or if the early adopters are experiencing on the way of bugs and enhancements. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

To be precise, the update will normally come from the manufacturer, but will be a version approved by the seller (network) if they've previous modified the OS.  It won't be the network provider, except insofar as they may also be the seller.  In the case of Google devices, afaik, they don't allow seller/network re-builds, much like Apple.  The whole point of them is that you get "pure" Android, regular security updates and the earliest possible releases of platform updates.   Oreo is about to go live in the US (or may have already) and I imagine a UK release won't be that far behind.

The big downside of Android is that it's open-source and that any number of 3rd parties can modify it, and therefore have to release their versions, which slows the process down, often to the point where it never happens.   At some point in the future, I can't see how Google can't move to a core that they can update independently, even if overlays are someone else's responsibility.