Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android Nougat and Chromecast1

hrym
17: Community Champion

Has anyone had trouble trying to connect to a Mark 1 Chromecast after the Nougat update?   I've just done it on an HTC M9 and the Home app is failing to find mine, even when I'm next to it.  It works with a Mark 2 OK, so it doesn't look like a total failure that requires a factory reset (at least I hope not).

6 REPLIES 6

Nabs

Can't say I've noticed any difference since upgrading... What are you trying to cast?

hrym

I'm trying to get the phone to recognise the device, @Nabs - Google Home doesn't find it and before I set the other one up, the cast icon wasn't appearing anywhere.   FWIW, the second device wasn't in use, so had to be powered up for the test.

It's possible the disappearance relates to the fact that the internet connection on my broadband went down last night - a router reset fixed that.   I have another device running Marshmallow and I'll see whether that finds the Chromecast later on today.  It might just need resetting or something (I did try power-cycling it, but that may not have been enough).

Edited to add: are you using a Chromecast 1 or 2?

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@hrym Did you manage to reset it?

hrym

Haven't tried yet, @Sukhi.   The Marshmallow device can see it.   It may also be that it's on my extension network and I may need to connect to that, though I thought I'd tried that.   I need to sit down with the Nougat device in the same room as the Chromecast when I have plenty of time.

It's a weird one as it seems to be only the Mark 1 device that's not being found.   The device that works is the one I use with it, so no big deal (yet) and, if all else fails, they're not exactly expensive.

hrym

Just thought I'd update this as some interesting things have happened.   The first is that the Nougat M9 now recognises the Chromecast 1.   My suspicions that, whatever the problem was, it wasn't update-related were more or less confirmed when the phone saw 2 Chromecasts (a 2 and an audio)  in a location I was visiting.

I was also having trouble with a couple of apps that use location (but only those 2).  Without an update to either of them, they've both started working as well.

On the face of it, it seems unlikely, but it's almost as though the Nougat update needed to mature, like cheese or  fine wine :smileysurprised:.   On the plus side, battery life seems better, too.   FWIW, I'm using the Boost app that HTC installed with it.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for updating us @hrym.

Glad to hear it's all working for you now :smileyhappy: