Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android Service

CP198516
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

The biggest consumer of battery power on my Android phone seems to be "Android Service".  What is this exactly and what does it do? Is there any way to make it consume less battery power?  Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @CP198516

“Android service is a component that is used to perform operations on the background such as playing music, handle network transactions, interacting content providers etc.“

Location based apps such as Facebook can cause issues. 

Sometimes a soft reboot by turning the phone Off and On can help but it’ll always be there. 

Clearing the phones system cache if available on your phone can help. 

If your phone has The Always On Display feature and is on this can affect any doze feature. 

Clearing the system cache can help which is done by turning the phone Off and from a set of button presses enter into the phones file system and then clear the system cache if your model of phone allows this. 

Its the same on my s8. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

The battery use indicator just tells you the relative levels of use, but not how much each app/process is using.   If there isn't a problem with battery life, it's fine.   That said, the display is normally the heaviest user, for obvious reasons, although it won't be if the device is idle for long periods, of course.   You could try what @BandOfBrothers has suggested, but this may not be a matter for too much concern.

BandOfBrothers

@CP198516

What % is it using. 

This is a snapshot of my s8 which has been On since 6am. Screenshot_20171204-135728.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

And Android Service doesn't appear anywhere on the list, @BandOfBrothers, so it does seem to be intrusive, especially if it's the main user (I admit I was thinking of Android System initially).   My favoured solution for odd problems is:

Clear recent apps

Clear the app caches (Settings|Storage|Phone|Clear cache)

Restart the device

If all the fails, you could clear the system cache as well but, of course, bit's more fiddly.  Those three things usually arrive at a fix.