Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android updates Android 11

msclara
3: Seeker

I'm waiting to update my phones software  to new 11 version and while checking smth I've discovered that somehow people from other networks with exactly the same phone have not only already received they updates but also somehow I'm still stuck on the november patch update. My phone is S10+  and should get december and january update and yet I hear nothing.  What is the issue here? why is vodafone blocking my updates?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adiwilko76
4: Newbie

Mine is exactly the same. Some networks are on their 2nd/3rd Android 11 update. The only way to do it is flash your phone with Odin with open BTU Android 11 firmware off Sammobile. Phone has to be network unlocked though. 

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

msclara

once my contract is finally over Im switching to different provider this is a ridiculous joke.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @msclara 

Vodafone officially state in Firmware-Explained. 

Samsung send out updates in accordance to the region the phone is in, phone eligibility,  serial and build number and as such sent out in waves.

Also Vodafone typically want to test firmware for the phones they supply i.e branded to ensure it does not clash with their brand of software on the phone and it's network features and apps.

Checking via the phone's software update section and also via Samsung Smartswitch is best practice.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

So they've been testing the december patch for the last 2 months. Wow if they are that quick I'm afraid how long will I have to wait android 11.

BandOfBrothers

I'm not saying they've been testing the update for that long @msclara 

Samsung release the update for each eligible phone in turn,  i.e not release the update for all eligible phone's at once.

Vodafone test the update so your not then potentially being faced with software problems that affect the stability of your phone and affect network features etc.

I reviewed Android 11 with Samsung One Ui 3.0 on the 4th of February 21 and my phone is directly from Samsung albeit imported into the UK.

You can “flash” the phone and see if that helps but also be aware changing the csc can potentially affect some Network features.

I see you've accepted that as your solution so I wish you well and good luck.

Current Phone  >

adiwilko76

Mine is exactly the same. Some networks are on their 2nd/3rd Android 11 update. The only way to do it is flash your phone with Odin with open BTU Android 11 firmware off Sammobile. Phone has to be network unlocked though. 

adiwilko76

Further to my post regarding the tireless waiting for Android 11 update. I have looked and Vodafone from loads of other countries have not only updated to Android 11, but they are already on there second update. So why can't Vodafone UK do the same? Its ridiculous, we haven't even had December or Januarys security update 😒 

BandOfBrothers

Possibly because even though different countries share the Vodafone Branding they are not linked.

They all work independently @adiwilko76 

Haven't you used a rom from Sammobile to update, which is what you have spoken about in your accepted solution post to @msclara  ?

Current Phone  >

I think you're missing a point. Security patches exist for a reason to make your phone wirk better. They fix minor or major bugs I'm sorry but hows my phone supposed work correctly if vodafone blocks my phone from receiving them. 

BandOfBrothers

I do appreciate how important security updates are and I also want them as a priority to software updates @msclara however they do tend to come hand in hand with software updates.

On Samsung phones there is a place to search for security updates separately but I seem to find they always come down with a software update !

I personally buy my phone's from the manufacturer in the hope such updates are not slowed down by networks checking the update but on occasion I've also found that a branded phone get the update faster sometimes !

Current Phone  >