Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

App overlay

Kaho
2: Seeker

My phone today keeps asking me to change settings for permissions regarding app overlay. I've no idea what it is, I've searched for help to no avail, what is this bug? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

In your settings try and find apps that can appear 

On top and uncheck the ones that are causing the problem 

You can even Google your problem  with plenty of of results

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

In your settings try and find apps that can appear 

On top and uncheck the ones that are causing the problem 

You can even Google your problem  with plenty of of results

I tried unsuccessfully to discover 'apps on top', the videos I watched showed screen images I don't see. 

WhatsApp now does not connect to my contacts thus all the names there are gone! Its bizarre, if I try to add to contacts I get " screen overlay detected" 

Nabs
17: Community Champion

I use an app called Twilight that puts an Overlay on the screen. I believe Facebook Messenger app can also cause this in some circumstances.

I think any app that has "Draw over other apps" set to Yes could potentially cause this message. My banking apps won't work if i've got anything running an overlay (though they don't give me a helpful error message like that!)

Kaho

Everything from contacts yo WhatsApp to opening apps is now impossible, I'm directed to settings>apps to change overlay permissions, whatever they are. How can this bug be eradicated ?

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Kaho

From a Google Search among quite a few return pages I saw this one. 

How-to-fix-the-screen-overlay-detected-error-on-android.

There are others to view too if you Google 'App overlays settings.' 

Also so sometimes I find the following troubleshooting tips can occasionally help. 

Delete the most recent app(s).

Soft Reboot by turning the phone Off and On. 

Last resort ~ Back Up and Factory Reset. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

thanks, tried following the tips you offered (apart from factory reset) but the problem/bug persists, confusingly I don't see Special Access in any list, so its off to the Vodafone store tomorrow, annoying, as this is very well known why oh why isn't there a fix?

juned393
1: Seeker

To be true Screen Overlay is basic feature used by almost every application.
Messenger Chat Head, Inbox Messages Preview and Whatsapp Messages Popups are all example of screen overlay feature, so you cant uninstall all application to resolve Screen Overlay Detected popups on your device...
You just need to manually turn of screen overlay of all applications in your device, Follow following settings to turn off screen overlay of android application:
> Settings
>Application Manager
>Click on Three Dots (Top right corner) & Select Draw Over Other Apps
>Turn off screen overlay of all apps one by one
This must solve the issue of screen overlay in your device...
If this isn't solving then screen overlay issue in your device or you haven't got my answer then refer to below reference:

https://wildtricks.com/screen-overlay-detected-solve-problem-android-device/

hrym

Facebook Messanger is a prime culprit.  It took me ages to work out what to do on my wife's phone.  Eventually found that swiping the "caller" image off the screen did the job.

andre23
1: Seeker

Follow below steps to fix App overlay issue.

1. Open Settings then Click on Apps.
  2. You will Three Dоtѕ on tор right corner now click Configure аррѕ.
  3. Draw Ovеr Othеr Apps.
  4. There you will see Screen Overlay permission .
  5. Now goo for “show system apps“. and turn Off it.

Thats it, Sure it will work fo, You can a find out full an article from this android site with video tutorial, Right now site not opening so i am not finding exect url but check after shortly.