main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Backing Up Contacts/Music from Samsung S4 Mini

johnoooo
4: Newbie

I've connected the phone to computer.

Gone onto File Explorer on Computer & clicked on Phone.

I've copied the Music Folder,-- No problems

BUT Contacts are stored as seperate .vcf v card files

Is there any way to Zip these to create Backup/ another way to export them?

Or am I talking rubbish!

View more options
23 REPLIES 23
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I'm not able to answer the primary question but i thought id just mention how I back up my Samsung Galaxy s8. 

I use Samsung Cloud which practically backs up everything. 

Gmail and Google Contacts for my contacts. 

Dropbox. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
jeffkinn

@johnoooowrote:

Or am I talking rubbish!

It isn't rubbish but you are asking the phone to do something it wasn't designed to do. Android is designed to sync contacts with an email account  - usually Gmail but it doesn't have to be gmail. You have a gmail account by default as an Android user and even if you aren't using it for email you can use it to sync contacts and calendar items.

Also backing a phone up to a computer isn't good enough to safeguard your data. I have a thread about this very subject that might give you some ideas

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/My-thoughts-about-smart-phone-and-computer-backups/td-p/25...

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
johnoooo

Jeff,

What good advise, & a very good link.

More people should read/understand the issues.

Because of your link I have found Samsung "Smart Switch" & have used this to back up Contacts/Music etc.

Hope I have saved myself a problem or two for the future.

Any comments to a beginner welcome

View more options
jeffkinn

Glad you've found a solution.

Photos is the other big problem - we all take pics on our phones these days and often they are precious memories. Make sure they are backed up to Google Photos - a free service with potentially unlimited storage.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
johnoooo

Will do, but think my major concern was losing Contact details due to losing M/c or Technical failure & Smart Switch has (I hope) solved this

View more options
hrym

If you go into Contacts and tap the 3 dots at the top right, there should be a Manage option.   From there, there are options to export and this should produce a single vcard file.   You can then transfer this elsewhere (an email attachment is the easiest way - just save that to a pc or other external storage).   Although your contacts are sync'd wih Google (if you're using gmail), you can use this method to keep an independent copy if you lose access to your Google account for some reason.

View more options
johnoooo

Thanks, but when I go into Contacts, there are not 3 dots @ the top RHS.

It's a S4Mini device.

The only way I've found from the phone is Contacts/Then LHS bottom 3 lines/Gives list containing Import/Export

But only Export to USB/SIM not to Computer.

So would help if you could explain 3 dots @ top method

Thanks

View more options
hrym

If the menu is elsewhere, that that's where it would be.   I'm surprised there's no option to export to internal storage or an sd card (if you have one).   Whis version of Android is this running?  If it's an old one, the functionality may not be available, but it may also be that USB is the term Samsung were using for internal storage at the time (I have a old Galaxy S2 that does that).

It may be that you can use USB storage and then pick the file up from there to attach to an email.   As storage on the device is probably limited, it would be a good diea to delete the exported file once you've done that, although it's quite small.

View more options
johnoooo

It's a S4 Mini with Android Version 4.4.2 installed, recently updated.

I'm also surprised that there is no way to export direct to a PC.

Only way I've found to do it is connect device to Computer/File Explorer/OPen devise by left click/This gives all Folders within device, but Contacts are individual V Cards

Which model type did you find the 3 dots @ top of Contacts page?

View more options
hrym

Forget about the 3 dots.   It's a way to access the menu on more recent versions of Android.   If they're not there. it's irrelevant.   You've found the option you want using Samsung's dedicated menu button.

You won't find an Export to PC option.   You have to use the internal options and then transfer the file this creates.

Samsung used to have a PC suite called Kies, but I'm not sure whether it's supported now (or, if it is, whether the current version will support Androind 4.4).  There was also an app called Kies air (available on Google Play), which allowed you to transfer data over wifi via a browser on the PC.   If it's still available, that would copy contacts, but you may have to do them individually (although a bulk operation may also be available).

If you've found the Export option on the menu key, try "Export to USB storage" and then use the device's file manager to find the relevant file - it'll probably be in the top-level directory that the file manager sees.  Once you know where it is, email it to yourself as an attachment and then save the attachment on a PC.

View more options
jeffkinn

The issue is that you are still trying to find a way of doing something that the phones and operating systems are simply not designed to do. Even if you use Kies from Samsung of iTunes for an iPhone, they create a single digital backup files that isn't human readable and cannot be used to export, for E.G. contacts. You will have to sync to gmail and then use their website to export all the contacts in a single file.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
johnoooo

OK<

I'm happy, I think, that I've taken a Back up copy using Samsungs "Smart Switch" so if I have a technical breakdown/lose devise I think I could connect new device to "Smart Switch" & recreate data.

Just like to know what percentage of users do Back up data held on Smart Phones!

View more options
hrym

That's OK as far as it goes.   However, there's a risk that the resulting file is in a proprietary format and can only be read on Samsung devices.

I use the method I've described to back my contacts up on a regular basis - I have about 5 copies!   It creates a single file in vCard format.   This is a lingua franca and can be read by most address books (including MS Outlook and Gmail).   The Kies method I described would create individual files for each contact, but I believe Kies Air can do bulk operations, so you've be able to copy them all in one go.  Restoring from indivifual files is fiddly, of course.

View more options
jeffkinn

@johnoooowrote:

OK<

I'm happy, I think, that I've taken a Back up copy using Samsungs "Smart Switch" so if I have a technical breakdown/lose devise I think I could connect new device to "Smart Switch" & recreate data.

Just like to know what percentage of users do Back up data held on Smart Phones!

Not enough is the answer.

You seem to be reluctant to sync data to a cloud based service and rely on that. is that the case and if so I'd be interested in understanding why?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
johnoooo

OK, I've connected phone to Computer & also inserted a USB Flash drive to computer.

Gone into Contacts/Export, selected Export to USB.

Looked @ Flash drive, nothing recorded!

Opened up S4Mini on Computer & the export file is showing within the contents of the devise & they are single v files

So how do I get the Contacts onto my flash drive or can't it be done?

View more options
johnoooo

Answer to not using a cloud based service:-

Because I don't know how to do it!

View more options
hrym

No, you don't need to connect a USB drive to the PC.   I'm pretty sure that USB storage is Samsung's old term for the phone's internal storage.   Just choose that from the export options and I'm pretty sure you'll find the file using the device's file manager.

You already have cloud storage with your Google account - it's called Google Drive.   Assuming you're using Gmail, your contact will be syncing there anyway, so a separate backup is just belt and braces.

It sounds as though you need a fairly basic guide to mobile phones.  There are a number of these in magazine format available from newsagents and supermarkets.   One of these would answer most of your questions and help you get the most from your device.

View more options
johnoooo

@hrymwrote:

No, you don't need to connect a USB drive to the PC.   I'm pretty sure that USB storage is Samsung's old term for the phone's internal storage.   Just choose that from the export options and I'm pretty sure you'll find the file using the device's file manager.

You already have cloud storage with your Google account - it's called Google Drive.   Assuming you're using Gmail, your contact will be syncing there anyway, so a separate backup is just belt and braces.

It sounds as though you need a fairly basic guide to mobile phones.  There are a number of these in magazine format available from newsagents and supermarkets.   One of these would answer most of your questions and help you get the most from your device.

1 Yes agree the USB term is for Internal storage

2 I do not use G mail

3 100% agree about basic guide, I'll start looking for one!

4 But at least I've got the Back up done on "Smart Switch" which could help in future

View more options
hrym

Depending on what mail service you use, it may already be syncing your contacts.   If it doesn't, then I'd strongly recommend a separate backup - without that, they're only on the phone and, if you lose that, or it fails, your contacts are all gone.  The advantage of the vCard file that I recommended is that, if you need to, you should be able to import them quickly into any new device or service.

View more options