Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Battery

widgetwilk39
10: Established
10: Established

I have had my Smart Phone 7 for just a year, and just lately I have had to charge it a lot more,  some times twice a day, I do not use it that much, hardly make any calls on it,

Just wondered how long the battery may last,  I have it on 'mobile data' but always have had, thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hopefully that's you sorted.

I have auto updates off too.

It's good that the lad has been able to help, looking at the phone is a lot easier to diagnose any problems.

View solution in original position

39 REPLIES 39

BandOfBrothers

In my experience a phones battery has so many discharge and recharge cycles before its capacity level will drop @widgetwilk39

I would try letting the battery level drop to 10% and then re charge to 100% which is a way to callibrate the battery. 

If your particular phone model has a feature where you can see what's feature's / App's are using the Battery it could be beneficial to look there to remove a rogue app / optimise the phone. 

Some Battery options maybe available via PlayStore. 

Appreciate your not using it a lot but do take into account that a phone will be working in the background updating various things like social media, location based apps and updating weather etc. If signal isn't the strongest then the phone will be working harder to keep hold on signal. Email preferences settings to send new emails automatically will use more battery as the phone is constantly checking your email server. Shorten the time the phone goes to lock screen / sleep. Turn off Auto Brightness and choose a lower brightness level. Even though your open apps may look to be in a suspended state some can still be collating information. Facebook is one such culprit along with it being a resource hog. I access Facebook via my URL bar. 

Some browers are resource heavy too. One such culprit is Google Chrome. 

As a very last resort create a Back Up and Factory Reset to remove the unused junk files that are collated along the way from usage and firmware updates. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your reply, I have lowerd the brightness, when I go to 'settings/apps' I can see the  Accessories 200KB, what's that??  Android Keyboard 348KB, Facebook 349KB,

is it any of these?? but then these have been there all the past year, so why is the battery needing charging more now,

IN the Battery page it says, 'used since last full charge' Android OS' 11%, what does that mean??

Sorry for all the questions,

63johnw

Hi @widgetwilk39 as a last resort I have used the factory reset option in the past and this has sometimes helped with battery useage.

Thanks, will use it as a last resort,

if I do will I lose all the apps on there and have to start again? like a re-format on a computer??

63johnw

yes you will lose them but if you have set your phone up to restore they will be downloaded automatically when you set your wifi and then your google account back up.

Thanks sounds a bit drastic for me, will wait and see, thanks again

@widgetwilk39 wrote:

Thank you for your reply, I have lowerd the brightness, when I go to 'settings/apps' I can see the  Accessories 200KB, what's that??  Android Keyboard 348KB, Facebook 349KB,

is it any of these?? but then these have been there all the past year, so why is the battery needing charging more now,

IN the Battery page it says, 'used since last full charge' Android OS' 11%, what does that mean??

Sorry for all the questions,

The small amounts of data is what the app is using to update etc. I.e. Facebook. As I mentioned that app is resource hungry. I choose to force stop and disable the Facebook App in my phone, and access mine through my browser URL. 

Your batteries capacity will decrease over time and by the discharge recharge cycles as part of its life cycle. This is why at first it keeps the phone working through the day but does lessen over time. 

Android being the operating system is part of the resources of the phone so will use battery , Ram and storage space. 

A back up should retain your information which is why it's important do before a factory reset. A factory reset takes the phone back to it's last firmware update. 

Your apps will also be in your My Apps section in the PlayStore too to download again. 

If you use Gmail then your contacts should be in there. 

I also use Dropbox for my pictures amongst other things. 

In my case as I use a s8 I also use my Samsung Account to back up. 

The long and short of it is a batteries capacity reduces with time. 

Removable batteries in phones is best as one can simply buy another original battery but for you and me with non removable batteries an authorised engineer can replace the battery and maintain the Manufacturing Warranty. 

Using a non authorised engineer could result in the manufacturing warranty being voided , poor workmanship and inferior parts with little or no workmanship guarantee. 

Current Phone  >

Thank you again for all that information, but do not fancy doing a reset, will see how it goes and if still the same, when I am next in town will have to go into shop,

have done a 'little' test and it is using 2/3% per half hour, that is no using it,

don't know if that is good or bad,

The staff at the Vodafone High street Store can certainly check over your settings etc. They would have to send it away for a diagnostic if necessary. 

I think that battery size in your phone is Li-Ion 2540 mAh battery so it's not a massive capacity so if it is using 2-3% per half hour I'm not surprised your having to charge it more frequently even tho it's in standby mode alot. I would definitely look at any battery stats or download an app to.monitor your battery and even tho a phone should self manage itself I would manually close down the apps and not leave them in a suspended state just to see if battery stats improved. Look at all your apps preferences too. 

Best of luck. :Smiling:

Current Phone  >