Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Battery

widgetwilk39
10: Established
10: Established

I have had my Smart Phone 7 for just a year, and just lately I have had to charge it a lot more,  some times twice a day, I do not use it that much, hardly make any calls on it,

Just wondered how long the battery may last,  I have it on 'mobile data' but always have had, thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hopefully that's you sorted.

I have auto updates off too.

It's good that the lad has been able to help, looking at the phone is a lot easier to diagnose any problems.

View solution in original position

39 REPLIES 39

hrym

I presume you're referring to app updates rather than ones for the operating system itself?   Yes, it's perfectly normal.   Some developers have a regular schedule, others (usually the smaller developers) are ad hoc.   Sometimes you get 2 or 3 a day (more when Google issues a raft), sometimes none at all.   I always install them as you don't know whether they're just cosmetic or have security patches.   If you find that an app isn't working properly after one of them, you can report it, or just wait for a further fix - someone will have noticed.

To clarify terminology:

Restart: turn it off and then turn it on again. No settings or data are lost.

Reset: return it to its out-of-the-box state (though with any operating system updates still in place). All settings, data and content will be lost and you'll have to set the phone up again as if from new.

Thanks for all your help, but feel I must go and get it checked,

yesterday evening I charged it, went to bed , it was 95%, looked at it at 7am this morning  and it was 53%, that cannot be right, Perhaps I should turn it off at night, but never have,

hrym

You will lose a certain amount of charge overnight, and how much will depend on a lot of factors.   The main one is probably the mobile signal strength - if it's weak, the phone will boost the radio and this will, in turn, clobber the battery.   What apps are doing in background will also affect it, so it's worth checking that anything where you can adjust the frequency of updates is set to minimum.   As I said before, sometimes an update can introduce rogue behaviour in something that was playing nicely before.

There's an easy way to test this: at night, turn off mobile data and wifi.   This will stop all data-related activity.   If this fixes the problem, you've pretty much exonerated the battery itself.   You can then look at any app you've added recently, or recent updates.

thanks hrym, will try that tonight, I know how to turn those off, so will make note of % reading and see what happens,

hrym

Obviously, you won't get any data-related content in, but I'm assuming you don't want to be woken up by a bong anouncing the latest raft of spam at 3 in the morning. :smileylol:

For those that still might be interested!!!!

turned off mobile data and WiFi,

Plugged in to charge at 10pm last night, was 16%

un-plugged fully charges 12.30.

at 7am it was 88%

don't know what that has proved, but from 12.30 till 7am with no data or wifi it used 12%,

am off out for the day so will only need phone for emergancy, so think I will again turn of mobile date and wifi and see if it lasts any longer without these and without use,

Another thing before I disapear for the day, is when I look up how much I have used I have used 522 Mb of 750Mb used, I have never ever used that amount before.

Is there any reason why you can't leave your phone on charge overnight?

That way you'll always start the day with 100% battery.

hrym

@StrowgerThat's not generally advised for two reasons: 1) fire risk and 2) leaving a fully charged battery plugged in will shorten its life.  I'd do it if there was no other option, but not on a regular basis.   If you do, make sure the phone is on a hard, flat surface so that it can't overheat.

@widgetwilk39That's a lot of data and suggests that something is using more than it should - which would certainly account for the battery issue.   Have a look in Settings|Data and there should be a graph showing what's using what.   If you can't find it, or it's difficult to interpret, try a 3rd party app such as My Data Manager.  This can narrow use app-by-app and down the the hour if necessary.

Sorry, but the fire risk is minisclue. Even the well publicised Galaxy Note issues were only with a handful of devices. My handset lives on wireless chargers pretty well permanently (I have them beside my bed, in the TV room, in each on my cars, in the office, etc).. If you're that concerned about the fire risk, I assume that you uplug your TV, router and all other electrical devices overnight?

Your misconception about battery life is based on very old battery technology and will not be relevant to any recent handset. The handset manges the charging current and it is impossible to overcharge a battery; not will maintaining a full charge shorten the life. And even if it did (which it doesn't), it's only a bettery and therefore replaceable.

hrym, the lastest,

went out this morning, turned off Wifi and Mobile Data, read 88%, after 7 hrs of not touching it, read 58%, turned on Wifi and Mobile data after 2hrs it reads 37%.

Settings/Date,

App usage, my Mail 61.14MB,  next Google Play Store 44.03MB,  all the rest are 20% and below

Data now reads 508 MB of 750MB left, and I have 5 days allowance left,

how can I stop this,