Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Bloatware at End of Contract

wwhyte92
7: Helper
7: Helper

Morning all,

Quick question about bloatware/Vodafone software which is preinstalled on devices when purchasing directly through Vodafone. Come the end of the contract term, am I not correct in saying that the device is fully owned by the customer and Vodafone has no claim to it whatsoever? If this is the case, shouldn't we be able to remove any/all software that may have been added to brand the device during the contract?

I'm fully aware that the software can be disabled within the Apps menu, but completely removing it seems to be impossible. The need to remove could be a multitude of reasons ranging from selling the device to someone else who isn't a Vodafone customer and doesn't want their branding there, or just to free up a bit of storage space. I'm not talking about rooting the device either as this should be easily available for all customers to be able to do (and without voiding any warranties).

These aren't core apps baked into the Android OS like some of the Google stuff, they are things added on by a seller which has come to the end of it's claim to the device. 

7 REPLIES 7

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @wwhyte92 the phone is yours to do as you want very early in the contract, you just have to keep paying your monthly bill, even if you have sold the phone on.

As Vodafone supply it they have taken the decision to add logos etc. in my opinion as an advertising tool, and yes you are correct its not easy to get rid of. Personally it doesnt bother me that much that there is a vodofone logo coming on at the start up etc. as long as I can get the phone unlocked when required.

It would be nice if you could remove it but I cant see vodafone majing that possible any time soon.

DRUIDDOODE
13: Advanced Member

Hi Ive been trying to find an answer to the similar question myself I'm not sure if they are put there by Vodafone or Samsung but on my s7 edge im lucky that I don't have the irritating (for me)

Splash screen but more importantly the 4 apps from Microsoft excel PowerPoint one drive and word and then the Vodafone start as I have no need for these apps they still use power and with no battery change available and not all of us can afford to keep contacts immediately it there a safe way to remove these apps 

I hear people say a flash a new os but that to me sounds dodgy and also I get told a lot you can disable them but as you get a warning before doing so I'm convinced that disabling bloat on my last device( s5 )that it was never the same device.

Any info would be appreciated 

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

My first two smartphones were bought through Vodafone, now unlocked and sometimes using SIMs from other networks. The earlier one is somewhat underpowered by today's standards, and the bloatware is a slight issue, but it really doesn't get in the way in the more modern one. I've now got a SIM-free phone, and TBH there's not much difference, except that updates seem to come through a bit sooner than when Vodafone checks them over first.

If you want to end up with a phone that is entirely free of Vodafone influence, you have to bite the bullet and buy SIM-free, otherwise accept the Vodafone influence and the facility to spread the cost. 

DRUIDDOODE

Thanks I've tried to give you a thanks with the thanks button but it is worse than it as ever been since the upgrade 

And I've disabled all trackers and blockers but still no avail it used to take 2 or 3 goes but now there is nothing ill try again after I post 

BandOfBrothers

There are package disablers in the Play Store that will as much as you can achieve what you want to do @wwhyte92

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

@DRUIDDOODE wrote:

Thanks I've tried to give you a thanks with the thanks button but it is worse than it as ever been since the upgrade 

And I've disabled all trackers and blockers but still no avail it used to take 2 or 3 goes but now there is nothing ill try again after I post 

No, I can't either! It seems to work for me from my laptop, but not from my tablet or phone. As I've just taken my laptop for repair, it may be some days before I can thank anyone :Sad_face:

DRUIDDOODE

Bizarre after  I reply or write a post and got it first time

Even before it stopped I would take a few presses or let through to who thanked who but it does seem intermittent.