Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cancel Sync doesn't work.

loftysaltmarsh
11: Established
11: Established

If I sign out of Google, then after a short while I sign back in, a lot of the sync boxes that were previously UNTICKED become TICKED again......with the result being increased battery drain.

Also if I disconnected from data / wifi mid sync (obviously I wouldn't know I was mid sync) then the sync gets stuck trying to sync without a connection.....and the "cancel sync" button doesn't do anything. (I have to turn the internet back on to complete the sync). If this happens I also see increased battery drain.

I know I've said "sync" a lot......sorry...lol.

Basically what I'm saying is, keep an eye on your Google account because it might be syncing more than you want it to.

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

Your Google account will try to sync as much as it needs to and, to be honest, it's pretty pointless if it doesn't.  If you tap on the account itself, you should have the option to turn off various elements of it, though, and I've always found those settings to be perfectly sticky.  If you really don't want to sync, you could try turning all the elements off individually, rather than the whole account in one hit.

However, I'm not aware of Google sync being a battery or data hog on any device I've ever used.  Apart from the screen, or soem apps that run too enthusiastically in background, the usual cause is a weak mobile signal that causes the device to boost the radio.

If you look at Battery under Settings, what's reported as the main user?

I only tick 3 boxes to sync in my Google account, when I go back to have a look, nearly all the boxes are ticked.

I can tell when this happens because my battery doesn't last as long.

I just wondered if this was happening to other S4 users.

hrym

That's very odd.  I've got selected options only ticked and it stays that way.   It might be worth doing a factory reset on your phone - don't forget to back up your content first!   If you've done a software update at any point, this is essential on Samsung devices as it clears out any bits of the old OS that are hanging over and confusing the system.  That can cause symptoms such as you're describing.