Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Candy Gallery and File Explorer .... Unwanted, can't uninstall

markdransfield
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've had a Vodafone N8 for over a year and I'm pleased with it.

But recently a new "tool bar" appeared across the top of the home screen, which looks like dodgy spamware, from an app called "File Explorer", which i can't get rid of. 

Now my standard Gallery app has disappeared and been usurped by something called Candy Gallery. (Apparently this app will ask for many more permissions on first use, but I'm not falling for that) .

Again, this doesn't have an Uninstall button.

I've done some googling, and both these things happened to done Alcatel phone users around the start of 2018.

Anyone had the same thing or know how to get rid of them?

5 REPLIES 5

techblogger911
4: Newbie

The in app settings of the gallery does include the option to remove the toolbar, can you send me the playstore link of the app?

Both these apps don't have Uninstall buttons in settings/apps.

Going into Google play seems give some success, but they want to into updates and haven't completely give away 

hrym
17: Community Champion

Unless there's malware on your device that's doing this, I'd say these are system apps.  I have a data usage monitor that puts ongoing info on the notification panel.  Check the app's settings to see if there's an option to turn that off.

hrym

If an app is non-uninstallable, it sounds like a network one, and I'd assume it's come with a system update.   Apps won't normally self-install from the Play Store.   All devices will come with a system file manager as they need that level of access to have the necessary permissions to write to your sd card if you're using one. - it's an OS requirement.

But this File Explorer app doesn't look like a built in app. It looks like spamware.

When i 'pull down' the Android top bar which shows time, wifi, 4g, battery,  i have this additional ugly extra underneath it which days "files, clean, boost, flashlight, camera, weather". This calls itself File Manager. In settings/Apps i can disable it, but it comes back after updates.

The other app, Candy Gallery, i think I've managed to uninstall it in Play, although it's wanting to install updates. Note I've uninstalled, my original basic Gallery has come back. For mor.