Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cant use phone in USA

Kierancassidy
3: Seeker

I have paid for worldtraveller but still can not use my phone. I have turned on roaming. The live chat is always unavaliable at Vodafone. Seriously unhappy. 

Anybody help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
World traveller is a tariff and not a service and you don't pay anything unless and until you've used the phone. If all the settings are correct on the phone you need to contact Vodafone to ensure that roaming is enabled on your account. Only live chat will be able to do that for you. If that is ok the problem has to be local and Vodafone won't be able to help.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

63johnw
Hi, it can take 48 hours to get a response here, have you had a look at your account settings to see if roaming is allowed?

You may have to persevere with livechat to ensure all roaming options at account level have been activated.

Kierancassidy
I have turned roaming on but still not working 😤

63johnw
Hi, have you checked account settings? There is a section there about international calls etc to see if its been activated? Keep trying livechat as you need them to confirm everything is set up to allow roaming.

jeffkinn
World traveller is a tariff and not a service and you don't pay anything unless and until you've used the phone. If all the settings are correct on the phone you need to contact Vodafone to ensure that roaming is enabled on your account. Only live chat will be able to do that for you. If that is ok the problem has to be local and Vodafone won't be able to help.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

mjm6mjm6
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago DESPITE ringing Vodafone well beforehand to check that my phone would work there. (On an earlier trip they'd said it would and it didn't.) Tried using the Chat facility after I got back to find out why but all I got was some twerp telling me repeatedly (a) that my phone did work there and (b) I should have rung them from the USA on the non-working phone to sort it out. Rapidly coming to the conclusion that they are either incompetent or untruthful. Neither conclusion reflects well on them.

AnnS

Hi @mjm6mjm6

Vodafone will have accessed your account and removed any roaming restrictions. 

In order to roam in the US you will need a quad band phone, tri band used to work well and will still work in some parts of the US but not in all. 

Thanks for that. Interesting! So you're saying that Vodafone simply can't say (as they did) that my phone will work UNLESS they ask some questions about it first? If that's so, the matter of their incompetence/dishonesty comes up again. It caused me great inconvenience and their response to my complaint has been non-existent. Time to look elswhere, perhaps.

AnnS

@mjm6mjm6 wrote:

Thanks for that. Interesting! So you're saying that Vodafone simply can't say (as they did) that my phone will work UNLESS they ask some questions about it first? If that's so, the matter of their incompetence/dishonesty comes up again. It caused me great inconvenience and their response to my complaint has been non-existent. Time to look elswhere, perhaps.

No I didn't say that.  Did you do your research before leaving for the US ?

All I have mentioned is you need a quad band phone for US use.  Some phones are only tri band they will work in some parts of the US but with the network change in the US, you need a quad band phone for some states.

All Customer Services would have done would be to remove all roaming restrictions on the account.  Unless you have a contract including global roaming plus, the roaming charge for pay monthly is expensive and Vodafone place a credit limit on the account and will restrict services when it has been reached.  You may need to ask Vodafone your credit limit and ask if it can be increased is you are going to be away for a long time.

A suggestion will be to take a PAYG SIM card with credit, PAYG does not have the daily roam further charge and will be a lot cheaper than pay monthly

There is further information here. Global roaming

Thanks for that - much appreciated. Fact is that I did everything you suggest (except that I sought advice from Vodafone rather than trust my own - lack of - expertise. Foolishly I imagined they would know what they were talking about and could be trusted: wrong on at least one account). Still no go. And still no response from them to my complaint. 'Happy' does not describe my state.