main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Android

Configuration Messages

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I've recently got the Samsung s8 but over the last 2 days I've had at least a dozen configuration messages saying it looks like I've got a new SIM and to update my settings but they just don't seem to stop? Is there anything I can do to stop these please? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

View more options
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hi @Chughes03

Its an automated Vodafone response message. 

It should just stop on it's own. 

A similar thread which may hold further information > https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Vodaphone-Spamming-me-with-You-ve-swapped-your-sim-messa...

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted
Administrator

@Chughes03 Normally a quick 'switch it off and on again' of your device will stop these messages from coming through. 

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused, I've seen how annoying it can be :Confused_face:

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

I have a slightly similar problem with configuration messages, can you help with that?

Both wife and I are on contract  Vodafone, have galaxy S7 phone's bought at the same time, only anytime I get the 'it looks like you've swapped your SIM or updated your phone, configuration messages will come through shortly' they do.

Hers in the other hand says your phone is unable to receive automatic configuration messages and directs her to a web page. 

I am completely at a loss to why hers does this and mine doesn't, she's not tech savvy and I don't particularly want to have to set this up every time there's an update, please help, I can't understand why both phones are identical yet mine does it automatically and she has to sit and go through a rigmarole of settings she doesn't understand and neither do I really.

Highlighted

There was a rash of spurious messges a few years ago that were apparently down to a system malfunction   However, there are other possible causes:

1. A faulty SIM or its connection to the phone slot (unlikely in your case if it's two devices, but worth considering)

2. System updates.   You'll get a config message after one of these, although it's not a frequent occurrence.

3. Disconnection from a Bluetooth device, often a car.  Not all do it, but some effectively take over the SIM and, on hand-back, the network thinks you've re-connected.  There is no way round this, although there have been reports that it only happens with some networks and that SIM design comes into it.

I'm at a loss as to why your wife's phone can't receive auto config messages, but it suggests some kind of fault.  It might be that a factory reset is required and I'd start with that device first, just to see whether a) auto config can be received and b) whether the blizzard stops after that.  The fact that that this is heppenign to both of you suggests a common pattern of behaviour and narrowing that down would be a start (it doesn't have to be anything odd, just something you both do).

If you do a factory reset, don't forget to back up your content and remove any sd card as the process sometimes formats them.

View more options
Highlighted
3: Seeker

I've got 2 phones for my kids on my vf account. Both have recently had a software update & are now constantly receiving the 'swapped your sim' texts from vf. One of the phones has received more than 1200 of said texts in the last 4 days!!! I've been into the local vf store - they suggested a factory reset but surely this isn't an acceptable resolution to this issue. I've been on the live web chat & was assured that the texts had been stopped & there'd be no further issues with future updates. We are still receiving numerous texts 😡 My next step is to phone vf. Would love to hear if anyone with this issue has managed to resolve it & how they did it. Many thanks in advance. 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @GMac1

You will always receive this message after an update or changing the SIM card.  You only need to update your settings on the network.

As has been mentioned previously on the forum simply tap on the message followed by a reboot   Alternatively text WEB to 40127.  The messages will then stop. 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @GMac1, the advice offered by @AnnS is spot on. If you continue to receive these messages after following the steps, let us know and we'll be happy to take a look for you.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi AnnS, thanks for your answer to my text problem following a software update. However I have already tried both of the solutions you mentioned with no good effect ☹

View more options
Highlighted

If you're still experiencing this issue @GMac1, get in touch by following the instructions in this private message and we'll be happy to help.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks Mark but I actually contacted vf customer service yesterday evening. Spoke to Abigail & so far so good - no texts today so far. Fingers crossed that's it sorted. Thanks again though 🙂

View more options
Highlighted

That's great to hear @GMac1! If we can help with anything else in the future, please don't hesitate to let us know :Smiling:

View more options