Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data Roaming

tr54vrs
4: Newbie

Going abroad on Sunday

With my iPhone I knew to turn of data roaming.

Just want to double check what I need to do on the GS3.

Is it as easy as turning off data in the notification bar?

I know it's a stupid question but I do not want a data bill from Cape Verde!

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

b0yce
13: Advanced Member

Your phone is generally switched off by default for roaming - in my experience it always has been.

Anyhow, always a good idea to confirm this.

Go to Settings ->More settings -> Mobile networks.

Here you have a few options and the main one is the 'Data Roaming' - make sure this is not ticked i.e. turned off. So now you can leave the Data quick button (in notification bar) alone so that it works in UK and will not when roaming is detected.

This should help keep that bill reasonable 😉

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

b0yce
13: Advanced Member

Your phone is generally switched off by default for roaming - in my experience it always has been.

Anyhow, always a good idea to confirm this.

Go to Settings ->More settings -> Mobile networks.

Here you have a few options and the main one is the 'Data Roaming' - make sure this is not ticked i.e. turned off. So now you can leave the Data quick button (in notification bar) alone so that it works in UK and will not when roaming is detected.

This should help keep that bill reasonable 😉

Cheers mate :Smiling:

JSK73
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

You can also speak to VF and ask them to switch off data roaming for the duration of your hols, then give them a ring when you get back to turn it back on again?

Sometimes the simple answer is overlooked because it's technology that's complicated!

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

You can do this allso your self and its dead easy 

The phone uses Wap settings to data roam 

Now if the phone does not see those settings it will not Roam 

Now i'm not saying remove them 

what you need to do is Make a Blank batch of settings and tell the phone to use them but as there blank nothing will happen

This save contacting Vodafone 

Settings >More settings >Mobile Networks> Access Point Names > Menu Button > New Apn 

Label this No Data then save it 

Make sure it has a Green dot in 

Now you will have no 3G or data 

To Return All you need to do is put a grren Dot back in the Vodafone one and Bingo 

But the Phone has a Built in switch 

Pull the blind down from the top then scroll the tabs at the top and turn the Mobile data off

That stops everything 

The problem is when you turn on roaming even it's just for a while, everything on your phone will go online which cost a lot of money.

During my last holiday I discovered Roamy, a free android app, which allows you to select the app(s) that have internet access while abroad. I can even setup a limit on it's data usage per app.

I think this can help you and others during their travells.....