main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Does Samsung slow there phones over time as per Apple

SOLVED
View solved solution
DRUIDDOODE
13: Advanced Member

After Apple were found to be slowing device's I'm curious as to wether Samsung do the same.

My S7 edge as half the battery life it had 12 months ago and sometimes less.

I would expect some drop out but half in 12 months seems a little drastic.

And the device is noticeably slower.

I'm wondering wether to have it looked a.

Or is this just due to 12 months usage.

Any info will be appreciated.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @DRUIDDOODE

Samsung made a statement not too long after this came to light from Apple that they do not slow down their devices. 

"Samsung Electronics Co.,LTD.: Product quality has been and will always be Samsung Mobile's top priority. We ensure extended battery life of Samsung mobile devices through multi-layer safety measures, which include software algorithms that govern the battery charging current and charging duration. We do not reduce CPU performance through software updates over the lifecycles of the phone."

Batteries will degrade over time as they do not have an infinite amount of discharge and re charge cycles. 

Battery life is a subjective topic as we all set up our phones preferences differently and use different app's and set up apps differently too. 

As we use our phones they pick up unused or redundant files so every once in a while go into Device Management and clear the files by optimising the phone using the various options in there. 

Try removing any Sd card to see if anything improves as degrading Sd Cards or slow speed ones can affect the phone. 

Your Battery monitor should give an indication to what is using the juice. 

A good process of elimination is to put the phone in Safe Mode which will turn off all the downloaded apps and leaves the stock ones alone which can then help you determine if its a rogue app causing this. 

I also prefer to top up my battery frequently and not let it drop under 15% but once a month I let it go to 15% and charge to 99% which in my mind helps calibrate it. 

Also as the phone has a manufacturing warranty a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre location can run a diagnostic on the phone. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View solution in original position

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
BandOfBrothers

Hi @DRUIDDOODE

Samsung made a statement not too long after this came to light from Apple that they do not slow down their devices. 

"Samsung Electronics Co.,LTD.: Product quality has been and will always be Samsung Mobile's top priority. We ensure extended battery life of Samsung mobile devices through multi-layer safety measures, which include software algorithms that govern the battery charging current and charging duration. We do not reduce CPU performance through software updates over the lifecycles of the phone."

Batteries will degrade over time as they do not have an infinite amount of discharge and re charge cycles. 

Battery life is a subjective topic as we all set up our phones preferences differently and use different app's and set up apps differently too. 

As we use our phones they pick up unused or redundant files so every once in a while go into Device Management and clear the files by optimising the phone using the various options in there. 

Try removing any Sd card to see if anything improves as degrading Sd Cards or slow speed ones can affect the phone. 

Your Battery monitor should give an indication to what is using the juice. 

A good process of elimination is to put the phone in Safe Mode which will turn off all the downloaded apps and leaves the stock ones alone which can then help you determine if its a rogue app causing this. 

I also prefer to top up my battery frequently and not let it drop under 15% but once a month I let it go to 15% and charge to 99% which in my mind helps calibrate it. 

Also as the phone has a manufacturing warranty a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre location can run a diagnostic on the phone. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View solution in original position

View more options
DRUIDDOODE
13: Advanced Member

Hi BANDOFBROTHERS.

(I couldn't reply on the page so I have to it this way)

Couldn't of asked for a better explanation 

I have been using an SD card thinking the extra data  would give the phone breathing space. 

So I can try that as it isn't using much data.

Also the charging explanation is also excellent answer so I will try that.

Thanks again

View more options
BandOfBrothers

You are very welcome @DRUIDDOODE and its nice to see you on the forum too. 

:Smiling:

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View more options