Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Emails not sending

cityangel
7: Helper
7: Helper

I've set up my bt email accounts manually on my galaxy S4 using imap ssl which was recommended as they have a junk folder ( pop3 didnt) emails are coming through fine but I cant send any, they just sit in my outbox with a failed message. have checked my outgoing smtp server settings from the bt website and they are fine.

Can anyone help me please?

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion

The first thought would be to try different settings for security, and also to make sure that log in before sending (or whatever it calls itself) is on.   There have been issues with BT email settings before, but as far as I'm aware, it's been persuaded to work eventually.

The alternative, which I use now, is to route everything through Google and use the Gmail app, which needs no setting up other than signing in.  I did that after using an IMAP setup and finding myself cluttered with folders.  You can set Gmail to pick up messages from other services and reply as-from the address the original was sent to, so it's transparent in use.   You can manage folders within the app, but you can only set them up via the website.

What settings do you suggest I try, dont know what you mean about log in before sending?

Re gmail I thought I had to have a gmail email addy to use that which I dont want, but are you saying that i could download that app and it will send and receive my bt emails.

Thanks for reply

hrym

If you have an Android device, you'll (presumably) have a Google account.  Your Gmail address will be [identity]@gmail.com.  The whole point is to use it transparently, as I explained.  The Gmail app will already be on your phone - look in the app drawer.  You'll have signed into Google on your device, so the app will be working as soon as you open it - there's no setting up to do and it's very easy to use.  Have a play with it and I suspect you'll be converted as quickly as I was :smileyhappy:

Sign-in before sending (or whatever it calls itself*) means that your device logs into your BT account to authenticate you before it tries to use the SMTP server.  When you send over a BT connection, the network already knows who you are, so doen't need this.  It needs authentication when you use another network to make sure you're a bone fide user and not a spam merchant.  It's a long time since I set up the Android email client, so I can't remember the settings exactly, but there'd be an option in the Send settings somewhere, possibly a sub-menu.

* I think the word "authenticate" may come into it.