Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Faulty Phone - Samsung

lonesheepma
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I've been unable to get through to Vodaphone online as the chat plugin never loads!

My Galaxy Note 10 developed a fault whilst connected to my laptop - overheating coupled with electrical burning smell.  Samsung has suggested I return the phone to them.  As Vodaphone are the supplier of the phone, I'm assuming this is correct? 

They have not given me any indication of how long I will be without the phone, so potentially I will be without a mobile device for weeks whilst still paying for the service, all due to a fault product.

Some advice?

10 REPLIES 10

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @lonesheepma 

When you get a fault with the phone it is recommended to contact the manufacturer for advise,  if it turns out to be a manufacturing defect, they will very often let you have a replacement.

Under normal cirumstances, you would be able to take the device into a Vodafone Store and they would be able to see the problem and send the phone to the repair centre but with the dreadful problems now and with stores being closed that won't be possible.

With it being an airtime contract, dependent on the SIM fitting an alternatve phone, you are able to use the SIM in any phone. 

BandOfBrothers

Hi @lonesheepma 

This is correct as the supplier of the phone i.e Vodafone attaches the 24 month warranty to it.

Consumer-rights-act 2015. 

Only Vodafone would supply a new replacement phone.

Samsung could effect a repair if their Samsung Experience Store  / Samsung Service Centres were open but wouldn't supply a new phone.

If you contact Vodafone customer services they may send a returns bag so you can send it to them.

Further info is in How-do-I-book-a-device-in-for-repair. 

Contact-us. 

Or

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Do.you have a spare phone to use or maybe ask a friend or family member.

If not places like Argos Online and Asda shops sell phones to put you on in the interim.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Is that right, @BandOfBrothers?   The advice we always used to give here was to go to the manufacturer (especially Samsung) as they'd be more likely to provide a replacement that the network.

AnnS

Yes @hrym  That's what I thought, Samsung are passionate to provide good Customer Services and protect the brand.

I am also not too sure about the returns bag especially under the current conditions, they don't turn up.

BandOfBrothers

@hrym wrote:

Is that right, @BandOfBrothers?   The advice we always used to give here was to go to the manufacturer (especially Samsung) as they'd be more likely to provide a replacement that the network.

Yes @hrym 

Samsung are more likely to provide a repair even if the network who supplied it declines.

This is why we suggest to approach the manufacturer first as they know their hardware and software better than a networks repair house.

And yes they do in most cases want to provide support even tho the Consumer Rights Act 2015 stipulates it's the seller / provider of the phone applies the warranty.

If Samsung can't repair for any reason then if they supplied the phone directly they'll come to an agreement if your covered under the 24 month manufacturer's warranty.

If they can't repair for some reason and they didn't originally supply the phone then they'll typically advise to go back to the network that supplied it directly or engage any relevant insurance.

@AnnS The postal system , post office and delivery couriers are still operational so there is no reason a Returns Bag wouldn't be recieved

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

hrym

It particularly used to apply when the networks were saying "water damage" due to sensors being triggered.   Samsung were good at taking a pragmatic view and repairing if the fault was unrelated to what may in fact have been slightly damp conditions.

BandOfBrothers

@hrym wrote:

It particularly used to apply when the networks were saying "water damage" due to sensors being triggered.   Samsung were good at taking a pragmatic view and repairing if the fault was unrelated to what may in fact have been slightly damp conditions.

Yes that's what I'm meaning @hrym 

If Vodafone declined a repair support for whatever reason then we always suggested to try the manufacturer as they sometimes have more scope and leniency to help.

The Manufacturer wouldn't typically replace a phone that's been originally supplied by a network from my knowledge base , experience and time regularly talking with Samsung.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

hrym

The Manufacturer wouldn't typically replace a phone that's been originally supplied by a network from my knowledge base , experience and time regularly talking with Samsung.

Previous experience tended to suggest that, in fact, they would - and were more likely to.   If they couldn't fix, the network were more likely to supply a reconditioned device.   I suspect it comes down to cost - for the manufacturer, it's the ex-factory cost, for the network the higher wholesale one.   They'd also therefore think it more worthwhile to carry reconditioned stock.

Edited to add: it also comes down to what the network the network, as a 3rd party repairer, is allowed to do by the manufacturer under warranty (it's why we used to get those "Vodafone say my phone's damaged" complaints).

AnnS

Sorry @BandOfBrothers 

I am going to have to disagree on this one, that's just your opinion.  If a phone is unrepairable Samsung are going to be a lot more understanding than Vodafone.  If a phone is still in warranty Vodafone would be more than likely to replace with a phone of the same specifications that is as used phone, where Samsung would replace with a new phone.

The postal service is running as normal but with the current situation Vodafone would not be in a position to send a repair bag and as for returning the phone as repaired that would be unlikely until all these dreadful problems are over.